Simon Kissel has announced a new cross-compilation project for FreePascal...
<blockquote>

In addition to the CrossKylix project, which still is actively
developerd, maintained and supported by me, I've recently launched a sister project
called CrossFPC. I think this project might be interesting to quite a
few of you, too.

Today I did an announcement of the project on the Borland newsgroups,
below you'll find a copy if it.

Signed,

Simon Kissel

------------------------------
ABOUT CROSSFPC

CrossFPC is an IDE addin for Delphi 6/7/2005 (and future versions)
that allows to use the FreePascal compiler as a compile target inside the Delphi IDE.

CrossFPC was born out of the need to get more target platforms supported for Delphi
applications, and also to future-proof the Linux target in case Borlands decides not to update
Kylix in the future. The goal is to enable cross-compilation using the FPC compiler with
none to minimal required changes in application code.

STATUS OF CROSSFPC

Currently the main focus is to use CrossFPC to cross-compile Delphi applications to Linux,
more or less the same way as CrossKylix does, but this time using the FPC compiler.

To make this possible I'm closely working together with the FPC team, who are doing a great
job at making FPC more compatible and helping me out. There also is a small collection of
Kylix compatibility units.

The current status of the project is that CrossFPC is able to cross-compile console
applications to Linux. The resulting binaries are stable and run fine on all Linux
distributions. Most non-visual parts of the Delphi/Kylix RTL/VCL/CLX are working
already. Currently still missing is support for GUI applications and database stuff
(dbexpress).

ROADMAP

Here is a vague road-map for CrossFPC:

- Within next 4 weeks: Release a public beta that supports cross-compiling non-visual
applications to Linux.

- Within next 2 months: Release a public beta that supports cross-compiling non-visual
applications including database support to Linux.

- Within next 3 months: Release a public beta that also supports cross-compiling non-visual
applications to 64 Bit Linux (AMD64)

- Within next 6 months: Release a version that supports CLX/FreeCLX visual applications.

- Long-term: Possibly support Win64, MacOS X, FreeBSD, Solaris and others as cross-compile
target platforms. This mostly depends on if I find maintainers for these platforms.

HELP WANTED

I'm looking for motivated helpers for the project. The main areas of work are improving the
compatibility of several FPC units with their Delphi/Kylix counterparts and writing "glue"
units where needed. To help you should be really experienced with low-level Delphi/Kylix code,
and Linux. Right now I'm looking for someone who will work on the compatibility of the libc
and database units. If you think you have got the time, energy and will to contribute to
this project, please mail me at scamp@untergrund.net. Delphi/Kylix third-party tool vendors
who wish to add support for CrossFPC to their product(s) also are welcome to join the
internal beta-test.

WHERE TO GET MORE INFORMATION / DOWNLOAD

Nowhere. CrossFPC is not yet available to the public, but only to the development team.
As soon a public beta is ready, there will be an announcement. Please do not mail me about
how to get a copy of CrossFPC, you won't get one unless you join the development team.

</blockquote>