Thanks Sly - everything you've said sort of validates what I have been able to work out from looking at Starcraft and trying to work out how it was done.

My next game - probably a simple Medieval RTS game will be using the same style of Tiles (Probably 64x48 tiles) that Starcraft and Run-A-War used. Just want to enable more multi character options for the game so that I can enable armies.

How does a game like start craft do Networking? This is something thats been bugging me a lot - I know how Age of Empires 1 does it (there is a detailed article on Gamasutra about it) but it doesn;t seem practicle for a one man band to do the same thing (its all based on a command system and each PC doing the movement of every unit) - In Run A War I just send the current character position, movement and starts along with a couple of event messages - then the other PC just resets the relevant information. I have tried this with more units and it seems to be very inefficient (I still need to try sending less data).