Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple Will Use Intel Processors in 2006!

Blog Entries

Apple Will Use Intel Processors in 2006!

Well what was once a meer rumour has been made official by Apple themselves. Apple will be using Intel Microprocessors beginning next year, in 2006.

Originally reported by CNET in this article, Steve Jobs was to report on Monday that they will be making the move away from the PowerPC brand by IBM and towards Intel. On Monday they did just that in their article that can be found here.

Thanks to tux for originally pointing this out.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I'd like to know what Borland's thinking. Could this possibly breathe life in Kylix?
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

the developer kits are using 3.6ghz P4.

osx cant be installed on a home brew pc though

Apple want HW lockin for a good reason. If they limit the amount of hardware that the OS can run on, they will have less support issues and more control over the quality of the machines that are sold. Mac's are known for being stylish, both HW and SW, so I think Apple just want to keep control of that aspect of it. Whether that is still a good strategy, only time will tell.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

the only way i will run out and buy a mac is if its true they can duel boot with windows. i dont have the desk space for a new machine.

im pretty sure others feel that way too

I'm for Apple having an x86 port, i don't think they will just drop PPC, remember there are already Cell Processors and even XBOX 360 seems to have 3 PPCs inside.

On the Kylix and Delphi64 issue i think you shouldn't have high hopes, they lost http://www.zenhacker.com/BorlandIsiDead.htm

1) Microsoft had bought away thirty Borland employees. Chief Architects, Senior Technology Officers, Compiler Engineers, that kind of folk. (I posted a list of names and job descriptions but that got cancelled).
    The future must be... Fast and OpenSource so...
    <br />Think Open and Lightning Fast!

On the Kylix and Delphi64 issue i think you shouldn't have high hopes, they lost http://www.zenhacker.com/BorlandIsiDead.htm
    Quite a depressing article you got there. Can't say it gave me a good feeling about the next Delphi version.
    Then again, perhaps in a few years or so, we'll all be working with FreePascal though... who knows.

Danny Thorpe (I think it was Danny) went to Apple recently. He was one the major Delphi developers at Borland.

Are you sure it's Danny? I know that Corbin Dunn definately left Borland about 3 months ago to work at Apple.

Probably Corbin then. I had the feeling I got the name wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast