Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which linux compiler?

Which linux compiler?

From what i know a .NET app is half the speed of a win32 native executable, i don't know about MONO but this is reason enough to stay away from it, also many goodies like powerful(real) pointers for all kinds of things and ASM are not available in .NET, "putting all your eggs in one basket is dangerous" that is depending on such a restricted technology as .NET is not wise.
    Please correct me if i'm wrong ...
    The future must be... Fast and OpenSource so...
    <br />Think Open and Lightning Fast!

Which linux compiler?

.NET is JIT(Just in time) compiled so there shouldn?¢_Tt be much of a speed difference, because when it?¢_Ts running it is native code

Which linux compiler?

From what i know a .NET app is half the speed of a win32 native executable
    From what I know a VCL app is "half" the speed of a native win32 API program - is that a good reason for staying away from the VCL?

I know I do for games but Delphi and .Net is so more than just speed.
    William Cairns
    My Games: http://www.cairnsgames.co.za (Currently very inactive)
    MyOnline Games: http://TheGameDeveloper.co.za (Currently very inactive)

Which linux compiler?

.NET is indeed JITed, but it is late JITing. By this I mean that it compiles a function/method the first time it is called. Thereafter it will use the JITed version of the function. So the speed hit is always the first time a method/function call is made.

IIRC you can set a flag somewhere which can force all methods/functions to be JITed at startup, thus avoiding the speed hit later on. IHTH.

Btw, it JITs every time the application is started. There is a tool you can use that will create a permanent native exe if that is what you like, but then you might as well be using Delphi/C++ etc.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123