Thread: DarkStar

DarkStar

I've been working on this game for about 4 months now, and as it stands I don't have any visually enticing screenshots to show anybody :cry: . DarkStar is a *deep breath* 2D space-based real-time strategy game which works over a LAN or Internet. My main aim is to GET THIS GAME FINISHED! Its nearly up to the stage where I can start making the rendering system and thanks to the months of laborious designing, I'm not having many problems *touch wood* with everything fitting together My website isn't completely functional yet (spent more time on the game), but when it is I'll be posting some early screenshots and parts of the design documents I would knock some faux screenies in PSP, but you'd all notice

DarkStar

No problem, just post the source code :twisted:

Keep us updated, sounds interesting especially the multiplayer bit. How many simultaneous players will it support? I tried a few client/server experiments a while ago but as my PC was both the client AND the server it was hard to tell how fast it was.

I did run a few tests over the internet with a friend and it's great to see it all working, but a 56k modem is not the best connection for a game server! I guess turn based games are more viable with a slow connection

DarkStar

Heheheh... no

It'll support at max 8 players, through a seperate server program which is either ran on the game hosts computer (and a loopback method is used), or on a dedicated machine. For now player AI is not being implemented, but what is being considered is a dll plugin system for the server (admin mods, AI bots, stats logging, etcetc )

I tried some tests over the internet to see how much the server would have to send to keep all the players in synch, and it came out that a 56k could *just about* hold up on a full 8 player game(although in actual practice I can see this being about 4 ) I suppose I'm lucky to have two computers at my desk to further test the networking system whilst not connected to the internet, shame that the other is a P200 :cry:

Its a far cry from the current development status, but I've been designing the game to allow a variation in game length, and figured that I could scale play between 1 hour and 4 days(with a stored game option on the server ) My friends have been helping with the game ideas, which is a bad idea really because they've managed to fill up half an A5 pad :shock:

Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted, and sort out my website

DarkStar

I'm looking forward to seeing screenshots or demos from the game!

It sounds very very cool, I was designing on a Space TBS with my cousin, however it kinda got stuck, since we both didn't have any idea what we wanted to do exactly and we both didn't have much time!
    Do it by the book, but be the author!
    <br />
    <br />Visit the Lion Productions website at:
    <br />http://lionprod.f2o.org

iLLUNis

DarkStar

Hope you post some kind of demo soon.... :shock: