Thread: Allegro.pas - alpng?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Allegro.pas - alpng?

I'm using Allegro.pas for allegro 4.4, but it is missing one certain file - alpng. I can't use PNGs without it and TGA doesn't offer as good compression as PNG does. Do you know where can I download this for Allegro.pas? I'd rather not switch to another framework like JEDI-SDL since for me coding with SDL is a chore and coding with allegro is a joy .

Also I find it strange that we don't have board for Allegro.pas in libraries and tools section. We have for JEDI-SDL, we have for some obscure game libraries (most of which are discontinued, and one is even discontinued! ).

It is true that there is no special forum for Allegro.pas but there is a thread from its author and you can find it here:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...egro-pas/page2
    Unfortunately author also mentioned in one post that his atempt on adding PNG support failed.

For once, it seems confusing to use. Secondly, I don't see how I can use it to directly load PNG into Allegro.pas' al_Bitmapptr structure.

As Silver Warrior said, I tried it but I failed.

Unfortunatelly, Allegro 4.x internals are quite obscured, and the library wasn't designed to be used in other languages than C and C++. That's why I didn't ported any of the original add-ons included with Allegro 4.4 (I tried to port AllegroGL too ).

Also I tried to use BeRoPNG but I failed too. It was quite confusing.

Now, I'll answer your message here.
    No signature provided yet.

There's only one function to use and you need to load the png file into memory before calling it. It'll return the image in an RGBA array. Example:
    Code:
    var
      f: file;
      fsize: longword;
      buffer: pbyte;  
      ImageData: PPNGPixel;
      ImageWidth,
      ImageHeight:longint;
    begin
      AssignFile(f, 'some.png');
      Reset(f, 1);
      fsize := FileSize(f);
      buffer := getmem(fsize);
      blockread(f, buffer^, fsize);
      CloseFile(f);

BeRoPNG.LoadPNG(buffer, fsize, ImageData, ImageWidth, ImageHeight, false);
      writeln(ImageWidth, 'x', ImageHeight);       
      freemem(buffer);
      freemem(ImageData);
    I don't know allegro, but looks like the only thing you need to do is to create a 32 bit bitmap (al_bitmap) and copy the read data into its line pointers (see https://www.allegro.cc/manual/4/api/...allegro/bitmap )