As I see it, prohibiting second hand sale or putting a fee on it is just a sign of how unhealthy the AAA market is. Way too many money is put into way too many (at best) mediocre games. Second hand sale is not the reason why these games don't sell well. It's because gamers are bombarded with all these average games that offers nothing new but yet cost $ 50+. It's limited how much mony gamers can/will spend on these games when they just get more of the same. The few AAA titles a year that really excels or have a big following usally don't have much problems with second hand sales.
However second hand sale may actually improve sales in a few cases. Gamers may pick up a game cheap they otherwise wouldn't buy. If they then like it they may spend money on DLC or on future games from that developer.

SilverWarior is on to something. AAA developers should look at the indie scene. Personally I've really only bought indie games on Steam for the last year. Why? Because they're cheap reasonly priced and they offer me novel entertainment. A buddy of mine is all excited about GTA 5 and is talking about it to me all the time. He has a hard time understanding why I ain't all hyped over it just like him (after all I study games on an academic level) but as I see it it's just another game with better graphics, bigger world, and generally just better of everything. That's fine I suppose but personally I can't see what's new? It's just more of the same.

AAA developers put way too much money into their games considering that they rarely offer anything new in their games. Yet the reason they don't experiement with new stuff is because they put so much money into development and will rather play it safe and stay with the old recipe. It's not good enough IMO and considering most AAA games don't even break even I guess I'm not alone in thinking that. The AAA industry should look inwards instead of blaming second hand sale and other things on their poor sales. That industry is in need of a revolution and a new way of doing their business.

Another issue about them forbidding second sale or asking for menoy again is that I doubt it would even be legal for them to do that. The EU recently made it clear that it is legal to sell digital software second hand (in the EU). You bought it once; it is yours to sell again if you wish to do so. I will expect the EU to do something if Microsoft or whoever makes second hand sales impossible or put a fee on it.