Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My stance on used games

I only play the games used, the new games are too expensive for me.

TweakBox word counter Tutuapp
    Last edited by davido; 26-11-2019 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davido View Post
    I only play the games used, the new games are too expensive for me.
    Lately I'm pretty much only buying Indie games. Quite often in Early Access stage. Why?
    1. They are generally a lot cheaper so I can buy from 3 to 6 indie games for the same amount of money that I would have to pay for a single AAA title.
    2. Believe it or not but quite many of these Indie games offered me more game-play enjoyment than similar AAA titles.
    3. Indie developers are not afraid to try new things so you can find some unique gems amongst them while most AAA game development studios keep clinging to the already tried recipes that worked in the past which makes AAA games feel very similar to each other.
    4. And finally the reason that is attracting me the most into Indie game scene is the fact that most Indie developers are not afraid to talk about how game mechanics in their games work. And with that information you can learn quite a lot about game development even without seeing a single line of games code. Not to mention that you could potentially learn from others mistakes so that when you go and start developing your own game you won't be repeating them.

Agreed there are alot of indie games that better than AAA projects.

Indeed there are. Money doesn't mean the final product will be good.
    No signature provided yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ñuño Martínez View Post
    Indeed there are. Money doesn't mean the final product will be good.
    true

Is it even possible to buy used games anymore? Seems everything is on Steam nowadays.

As far as I know, only old games (pre-DRM ones).

As far as I know, only old games (pre-DRM ones).
    And those are often tricky to install/run on modern Windows.

Yes, they are. Even using emulation or VMs.

Yes, they are. Even using emulation or VMs.
    It depends on specific game.

Most common difficulty foor running old Windows games on modern Windows versions is the fact that they are saving their setting and savegames within their own folder. This is in violation with modern security standards which are enforced by Windows User Account Control (UAC) which by default blocks saving such setting and savegames within the same folder the game is installed. That is unless you changed permissions for that specific folder to allow full read and write capabilities. For this reason I have a specific folder with full read/write permission into which I install any older game.
    Second most problem for running older games is that many of them used Direct Draw for their graphics. Because Direct Draw based games often use custom color palettes their graphics are not rendered properly on modern graphics cards because they can't map those custom colors properly. To solve this problems you could replace ddraw.dll with a custom one that makes sure the colors are mapped properly. Our forum member LP who is also author of Platform eXtended Library (successor of Asphyre Sphinx library) made such DLL replacement which actually works quite well. You can read more in https://www.pascalgamedevelopment.co...n-new-hardware

Old games that don't have complex 3D graphics can be easily ran within a Virtual Machine with older OS installed.. For instance I have a WMware virtual machine with Windows 98 installed in it to run some older games that I own that do have copyright protection that simply fails to work properly on modern Windows versions.

As for old MS DOS based games I most commonly use DosBox or Virtual machine with FreeDos installed in.

Sometimes I even go and turn on my old AMD K5 based computer to go and play some old games on a computer they were basically designed for

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12