Well most of my bias for Java had stemmed from (and rightfully so!) how slow and crappy the original sluggish and buggy JVM or JRTE stuff ran under Sun Microsystems' development. I'm not saying that it's worlds better than what Oracle has done with it (though it may be), but from what I can tell Google's implementation of Java RT into Android seems to perform much better than I remembered from the Java of years ago. Then again the first time I looked into Java seriously it was on a desktop computer that had a far less powerful CPU than the mobile devices I'm using now. That was a long time ago though. We have to take all this into account if we are to have a meaningful conversation about the end-result performance of the Java byte-code.

Graphics is a whole other bag of worms. You can make a poor-to-fair graphics implementation on a game for desktop and have it look alright on those systems, but take that to mobile and you see that it doesn't run so great. To get your games running great on that hardware you have to make sure that your games are optimized and tuned for that level of hardware. You can't be lazy on graphics or this is where your game will suffer most in performance. That also means using a good game library that does this for you or getting to really know your OpenGL!

Now I believe that our first conversion of Subject 33 ran graphics ALL in immediate mode. That's about as slow as it gets. Don't do this new people! It was our first rendition of the code and we are working at speeding things up. We are currently working on a much smarter way of dealing with our graphics by using VAs and/or VBOs through libGDX.

You can check out whats available on the OUYA right now on the website: http://www.ouya.tv/games/

There is quite a list so far (Esp. compared to Wii U's initial line-up!) and it's growing all the time. One that I'm excited about and hope to see more of is like the one below, Elliot Quest.

But then there are games like FF3, ChronoBlade and Flashout3D. I don't know if any use the NDK or not.