Configuring my OUYA to compile to wasn't overly easy, I'll admit. But thankfully they did eventually provide instructions on the developers section of their website. (link)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=454JFvFTxww

They aren't 100% glitch free. Some places they use the wrong names and your configuration might not match up exactly with what it details, but with a little trial and error you get there.

Well *I* managed to at least so what's your problem? (Those that have worked with me in the past know I hate dev tool setups.)

Both Paul and I have Oxygene for Java building and deploying Subject 33 directly onto the console for testing now.

The console isn't 100% perfect either. Far from it. It's clunky and the controllers are probably the worst part of the system's problems. But it's not a total write-off and it will get better with time.

There is still lots of potential there and it is still very open in a way that no other console has been since before OUYA popped it's head out. Apple and Google have played a part in this too I think. You'll notice that Sony and Nintendo are noticing the trend and have been trying to approach their own developer strategies in a similar way.

Now if I had to make a list of the console's problems:
  • WiFi antenna sucks causing poor wireless networking connectivity.
  • Probably due to some oversight, you are required to enter credit card information before you are allowed to get access to the console upon start-up.
  • Controllers have really bad lag depending on where you sit from it and often "run away" on you, probably due to poor bluetooth reception as well.
  • UI is really vanilla and needs a lot of features, I mean a lot! Not a huge problem yet, but it will be once more games show up.

The really good points about it:
  • PS3, XBox 360 and even Wiimote controllers supported!
  • Great emulation machine. I was able to emulate all the NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA, PlayStation 1 and GBC games in my collection.
  • Followup from the first, the console acts like a USB drive when hooked up to your computer. You do NOT need to install the drivers for this to work.
  • Some really smart indie games are starting to arrive. Deep Dungeons of Doom, Hidden In Plain Sight, ittle Dew, Tower Fall, League of Evil, etc...
  • It's hackable so you can fix some of these issues by reading threads in the unofficial OUYA forums (link)
  • Dude you can self publish your own games on a friggin' popular game console! And you aren't restricted by a teir system like on iTunes App Store.
  • ...and most importantly you'll be able to get and play Subject 33 by Red Ant Games.