Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk OUYA

Blog Entries
    Configuring my OUYA to compile to wasn't overly easy, I'll admit. But thankfully they did eventually provide instructions on the developers section of their website. (link)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=454JFvFTxww

They aren't 100% glitch free. Some places they use the wrong names and your configuration might not match up exactly with what it details, but with a little trial and error you get there.

Well *I* managed to at least so what's your problem? (Those that have worked with me in the past know I hate dev tool setups.)

Both Paul and I have Oxygene for Java building and deploying Subject 33 directly onto the console for testing now.

The console isn't 100% perfect either. Far from it. It's clunky and the controllers are probably the worst part of the system's problems. But it's not a total write-off and it will get better with time.

There is still lots of potential there and it is still very open in a way that no other console has been since before OUYA popped it's head out. Apple and Google have played a part in this too I think. You'll notice that Sony and Nintendo are noticing the trend and have been trying to approach their own developer strategies in a similar way.

Now if I had to make a list of the console's problems:
    • WiFi antenna sucks causing poor wireless networking connectivity.
    • Probably due to some oversight, you are required to enter credit card information before you are allowed to get access to the console upon start-up.
    • Controllers have really bad lag depending on where you sit from it and often "run away" on you, probably due to poor bluetooth reception as well.
    • UI is really vanilla and needs a lot of features, I mean a lot! Not a huge problem yet, but it will be once more games show up.

The really good points about it:
    • PS3, XBox 360 and even Wiimote controllers supported!
    • Great emulation machine. I was able to emulate all the NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA, PlayStation 1 and GBC games in my collection.
    • Followup from the first, the console acts like a USB drive when hooked up to your computer. You do NOT need to install the drivers for this to work.
    • Some really smart indie games are starting to arrive. Deep Dungeons of Doom, Hidden In Plain Sight, ittle Dew, Tower Fall, League of Evil, etc...
    • It's hackable so you can fix some of these issues by reading threads in the unofficial OUYA forums (link)
    • Dude you can self publish your own games on a friggin' popular game console! And you aren't restricted by a teir system like on iTunes App Store.
    • ...and most importantly you'll be able to get and play Subject 33 by Red Ant Games.

Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Stalagflight on Ouya is rather neat...hard, but retro with atari sounds it seems
    Last edited by paul_nicholls; 19-07-2013 at 06:06 AM.

Atari sounds? Not so much. More like NES/Famicom sounds since Atari games didn't have any music and (I think, may not be right) Atari didn't have noise generation support, only square wave.

Anyway, great game, I hope it'll find its way to PC.

Blog Entries
    Depends on which Atari you are talking about no? I never had one of the old Atari machines, I was an Intellivision kid. But I know that there were several models so I'm sure that there had to be some sound improvements from system to system. Actually there is an Atari emulator for the OUYA in the store.

I saw that one and it looked neat, but to be honest, I just didn't have the heart to play anymore endless run games. Having both an iPhone and 2 iPads, I've had my fill of 'em.

I wonder if many people would be interested in a competition where they would get their game ported to the OUYA as the top prize? Such an idea would be an easier sell if I could get RemObjects in on the event too. See if they will do another promotion.

Making a game for the console is pretty exciting. I would love to see more people joinning us in putting their games on here.

I'm also anxious to see what Dan has up his sleeve.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Actually you know what game might be great on the OUYA. Mini Racing Online by kotai.

I wonder how well online games would work on the console. So far all the games I've been seeing are a lot of "offline" single and multi-player games.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    So far I know that Paul and myself are working on a project. Dan seems to be working on something--looks pretty cool too. Jason Farmer is also playing with it, a past community member and past PGD Annual competition 1st place winner if anyone recalls.

Anyone else working on a project or just tinkering?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

So how about making article about setting FPC so it can compile to Ouya and what libraries to use?

it's the same as compiling for ARM android.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhog View Post
    So how about making article about setting FPC so it can compile to Ouya and what libraries to use?
    Actually that's not a bad idea. You can set up Oxygene for Java to build and deploy right to the device so learning how to set that all up is just a matter of knowing the tools and figuring out how to install OUYA's "drivers" for your platform.

I'm sure that FPC doesn't have this ability on it's own, but maybe with the help of other software...?

Since we want to be a helpful community, WE could do a set (or short series?) of articles for Object Pascal OUYA development environment setup here on PGD. Would you be willing to write a short guide or list of steps for the Free Pascal portion Dan?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

arm linux fpc+lazarus package (for linux32 only): http://gen2gdk.com/files/ArmLinuxUtils.tar
    download, read the instructions and run the installer after that you'll have fpc and lazarus ready for arm-linux compilation.
    then you'll still need some tool to assemble the apk (eclipse or android studio) so I suggest that you do some reading
    about the android NDK and how to link native code with the android application.

you can also find some decent instructions on how to create an arm-linux fpc compiler here: http://zengl.org/wiki/doku.php?id=compilation:android
    another more recent article (looks like things are getting more simple): http://wiki.freepascal.org/Android

I would love to write an article about the whole process up to deploying an app to the device but I simply have no time for it.
    if someone else decides to do that I would be happy to answer any questions here on the forum.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast