Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vista will CRIPPLE GL!

Vista will CRIPPLE GL!

Quote Originally Posted by tux
    i think there *is* a limit to how many 3d windows you can have open in xp. but that limit is beeing raised to a silly number for vista
    AFAIK there is no limit on number active apps, using Direct3D, in XP. Of course you can have only ONE app requiring exclusive mode at a time.

Windows Vista of the other side has new driver model and part of this model is: specification for new (fully WGF2.0 compatible HW) to allow preemptive multitasking build in HW. This way multiple apps using D3D (including Windows build-in 3D desktop manager) will not constantly fight for HW 3D engine how this happens in WinXP.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Vista will CRIPPLE GL!

I kinda know why my next computer will run an emulated Windows only ... And every day I get in touch with such news I'm gonna get more sure about that decision!

Running OpenGL layered above Direct3D is as stupid like pulling a car by motorbike because you're motorbike manufacturer ... Come on MicroDust! You had been releasing better jokes in former times! Your time is up with that decision!

OpenGL is BTW more stable (IMHO) just because of the longer release cycles of drivers. Direc3D is nothing part nor complete solution. You can do your stuff, but hey guys! It's of MicroSoft!
    The more complex a system is, the smaller the bugs get; the smaller the bugs are, the more often they appear.

Vista will CRIPPLE GL!

Here's quote from someone playing with the beta of Vista...
    My first install of Vista was on a Virtual PC. Nice but my main problem was that it's sluggish and unresponsive. Even if it has a 2.Ghz Hyperthreaded CPU and a full gigabyte of RAM at its disposal.
    taken from http://codebetter.com/blogs/peter.va...n/default.aspx
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Vista will CRIPPLE GL!

i think its a bit unfair to judge the speed of an os running in a virtual machine

Blog Entries

Vista will CRIPPLE GL!

Would this be an appropriate location for a Microsoft Joke Cartoon?

<center>
    [size=9px]'The Microsoft Car!'[/size]</center>
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Vista will CRIPPLE GL!

microsoft are going down..

i would never want a bigbrother OS which lacks Opengl support! i have done fine with 2k pro in 3 years and i will continue to do so in a lot of years more
    Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

To MS or not to MS

In my opinion, linux (Although a very good OS) does noy have the widespread influence and user base that windows has, and to code only for linux then will be a useless gesture.

The only way we, as game developers, can make money is to cater for the masses (In this case Windows)

It would be a complete contravention of the Open source community's standing if MS decides to do what is suggested in the first post, but the truth is that even if they get sued, they will still implement it.

This is obviously VERY bad news for all of us using OpenGL, and sincerly hope that the above is just a rumour.

Some mass action will be required from our side if the above turns out to be true! :evil:

I just cannot see myself coding for linux and OSx and completely disregarding windows

This is a dire day indeed
    I'm out of my mind but please leave a message
    <br />www.sulaco.co.za
    <br />Rage 3D game engine

Vista will CRIPPLE GL!

Quote Originally Posted by tux
    i think its a bit unfair to judge the speed of an os running in a virtual machine
    Don't let facts get in the way of a good slanging match.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Vista will CRIPPLE GL!

hehe

Blog Entries

Vista will CRIPPLE GL!

Well it's been a while since the computer world has seen a huge swing in technology use, perhaps this might bring a big one?

I can see alot of people, like when Windows 95 first came out, holding back on Vista and sticking with XP for a long while.

It is still possible that the masses may reject a Microsoft product. Vista may bomb and we will still have XP to fall back onto. Even they are not untouchable in this way. They just haven't made much that users don't want. Dispite how poor or buggy it is.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast