Quote Originally Posted by laggyluk View Post
it's easier to use existing code then reinvent the wheel and code base for C++ is huge compared to Pascal when it comes to gamedev.
Second -when looking for work in the industry Pascal is not of high demand - anyone knows of a major company using it for writing games?
For those two reasons I say that it's not optimal decision to use what we use I don't say it's a bad decision, just not best if someone wants to be a 'pro'.
If the goal is to get a job in the game industry (and fortunately is not my goal), Object Pascal definitively is not the way to go. AAA is still using C++, but new multiplatform markets are focusing in new tools like Unity3D and javascript.

If the goal is to make your game by the indie way, you are free to choose your tools by the technical requisites without the influence of the market.

The best developers I know are the guys that reinvent the wheel. Guys that create new, improved and personal wheels. As much third-partie code you use, you became more user and less developer.

About to be a pro, I agree with SilverWarrior that it's like a buzzword hard to define. I would prefer words like "good" or "great" to define developers that made great software/games.