Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Asphyre Sphinx Framework v4.0.0 (Unofficial release)

  1. #1
    PGDCE Developer
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Blumenau/SC, Brazil
    Posts
    17

    Thumbs up Asphyre Sphinx Framework v4.0.0 (Unofficial release)

    Hello,


    First of all, I want to thank you Lifepower for this powerfull framework and all the work you put in it.


    I have some plans to use Asphyre in my projects, so I created a github repository with the last commit of Asphyre in googlecode (v4.0.0), which is fully compatible with Delphi XE4. (Asphyre googlecode is closed now )


    I'll be using this repository to release my improvements, if you want to contribute, you can make pull requests.


    I have read the MPL 2.0, and I guess I'm not breaking anything with this unofficial release, Am I right?

    Repository: https://github.com/MarcoCestari/Asphyre


    Thanks
    Last edited by MarcoCestari; 11-06-2013 at 04:13 AM.

  2. #2
    Co-Founder / PGD Elder WILL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,108
    Blog Entries
    25
    I wouldn't think so, but it probably would be good practice to rename the project perhaps. Unless Yuriy were to endorse it himself with his blessing or something.

    You could refer to it as Asphyre "NewName" instead of Asphyre Sphinx if you really wanted to differentiate it from the Asphyre library as under Lifepower's (Yuriy) development control. Especially if you plan to go into a new direction, adding support for missing things and such.

    Of course you definitely want to credit Yuriy for all his hard work, which is something I know you have in mind with continuing his work. I would go to the Afterwarp Interactive site and do a little research to make sure thought!

    Hori's DelphiX lasted for a long time as an after-project this way, however interest began to get lost once the technology required to make a "modern" game evolved and the UnDelphiX project did not follow along, until much later. By that time however interest had already moved away to the many other game libraries being used at the time and DelphiX no longer became relevant in our community.

    So if your intent is to keep it going beyond Yuriy's development of the library and keep it up to par as one of the many options for Pascal games development into the future, take lessons such as DelphiX into account and remember to make the updates that keep the library useful to using it in game projects that developers actually want to make. Do that and your continuation of Asphyre may keep the project alive for years after it "changed hands."
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder





  3. #3
    PGDCE Developer
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Blumenau/SC, Brazil
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    I wouldn't think so, but it probably would be good practice to rename the project perhaps. Unless Yuriy were to endorse it himself with his blessing or something.

    You could refer to it as Asphyre "NewName" instead of Asphyre Sphinx if you really wanted to differentiate it from the Asphyre library as under Lifepower's (Yuriy) development control. Especially if you plan to go into a new direction, adding support for missing things and such.

    Of course you definitely want to credit Yuriy for all his hard work, which is something I know you have in mind with continuing his work. I would go to the Afterwarp Interactive site and do a little research to make sure thought!

    Hori's DelphiX lasted for a long time as an after-project this way, however interest began to get lost once the technology required to make a "modern" game evolved and the UnDelphiX project did not follow along, until much later. By that time however interest had already moved away to the many other game libraries being used at the time and DelphiX no longer became relevant in our community.

    So if your intent is to keep it going beyond Yuriy's development of the library and keep it up to par as one of the many options for Pascal games development into the future, take lessons such as DelphiX into account and remember to make the updates that keep the library useful to using it in game projects that developers actually want to make. Do that and your continuation of Asphyre may keep the project alive for years after it "changed hands."
    I would love to continue this framework (Surely with all credits for Yuriy), with the help of the community too.


    I liked the idea to rename it to Asphyre "NewName" to distinguish development control, but should be in a next release, with some improvements and new things. Also, I think that Yuriy should approve all these changes.


    Thanks for the tips, Will.

  4. #4
    Cestari, if you want, I can give you full access to Asphyre's official page on Google. I've also sent you PM regarding some changes to be made before publishing unofficial version.

  5. #5
    @Castari
    While I myself don't have sufficient programing language in the area of graphic engines development I won't be able to help you out directly.
    But since I was planning on using Asphyre Sphinx for my games I would be folowing your further development closely.
    Also you can count me in as a bughunter if needed even thou I'm currently only limited to Windows platform. I do own Delphi XE4 myself.

  6. #6
    PGDCE Developer
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Blumenau/SC, Brazil
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower View Post
    Cestari, if you want, I can give you full access to Asphyre's official page on Google. I've also sent you PM regarding some changes to be made before publishing unofficial version.
    Thank you Lifepower, but I prefer GitHub, it's more easy to the contribuition of the community. If you want, you can create a account on GitHub and I can pass the repository ownership to you, or you can create a repository and add me as a collaborator.

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    @Castari
    While I myself don't have sufficient programing language in the area of graphic engines development I won't be able to help you out directly.
    But since I was planning on using Asphyre Sphinx for my games I would be folowing your further development closely.
    Also you can count me in as a bughunter if needed even thou I'm currently only limited to Windows platform. I do own Delphi XE4 myself.
    Lifepower remodeled the units of Asphyre to use namespaces in this version, and I think that freepascal does not support namespaces like Delphi (not sure), so our main focus at the moment should be Delphi, but with multi platform in mind.
    Thanks SilverWarior

  7. #7
    PGDCE Developer
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Blumenau/SC, Brazil
    Posts
    17
    I'd some free time to set up my linux machine, and I have added back linux support to asphyre


    CodeTyphon 4.3 with FPC 2.7.1 / Linux Mint 15

    asphyreLinux.jpg

  8. #8
    Could you try to keep Delphi compatibility? It will be very bad/sad to loose this kind of openess...

  9. #9
    PGDCE Developer
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Blumenau/SC, Brazil
    Posts
    17
    Sure, it is Delphi compatible, but atm you need at least XE2 to compile

  10. #10
    Hi, Cestari,
    You probably know Delphi XE5 with Android support released some days ago
    Are you going to add android support for OGL ES provider?
    It would be great if you planned do it
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comodo SSL