Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chat?

Teamspeak server costs money, and you are also forced to primarily receive voice data. For us programmers, and being international community, actually seeing everything as text is very important. I have tried TS2, TS3, Ventrilo etc on some MMO's, but i have nothing good to say about them. Point is not getting across as well as good old text.

So come join the IRC now Total 3 was seen today. I guess sunday is to blaim that no discussions were raised. We need some tricky programming problems i guess!

Quote Originally Posted by User137 View Post
    Teamspeak server costs money
    Not if you are using it for non-Profit.
    http://sales.teamspeakusa.com/pricing.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phibermon View Post
    I'm getting deja vu...
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhog View Post
    Meaning unknown. Requesting explanation.
    Do a search for "IRC" through all the old posts here on PGD.

I hate the idea of raining on this parade, (as there is so few interested in contributing to the community these days) but the problem is that people in this community don't seem to like to contribute unless they can do it a couple of times and then give up. A lot of the people that used to contribute and continue contributing over an extended period of time have grow apart from the community sadly.

Unfortunately PGD has become a community of consumers rather than contributors for the most part.

By all means start an IRC channel or some other way to try to build the community at large, but unless you plan on staking your efforts into something that the majority will join in on and you plan on putting a lot of effort into, you'll probably end up wasting your time in the long run.

Notice many news posts on the front page lately? That's because I stopped. I've been too busy with family and my own commercial efforts lately so I've had to let the contributions to the community slip a bit. Sadly this means that everything slips because noone else puts in the required time and effort. (Save for the few that have been helping to keep the "invisible" spam away and welcoming newcomers. Thank you very much btw!!!)

If you really want to help the community, I'd invest in this place more. News, striking up design/development topics and talking about them in the forums, regualr blogs with imagery and video embedding (that's why I bought vBulletin for the community!) volunteering to run an event like a PGD Challenge. (There is lots of information on how, it just takes the time and effort.)
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    (...) Unfortunately PGD has become a community of consumers rather than contributors for the most part. (...)
    Sadly true.

I've found a job, and it will include game development () so may be I can be more "productive".
    No signature provided yet.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Notice many news posts on the front page lately? That's because I stopped. I've been too busy with family and my own commercial efforts lately so I've had to let the contributions to the community slip a bit. Sadly this means that everything slips because noone else puts in the required time and effort.
    If you really want to help the community, I'd invest in this place more. News, striking up design/development topics and talking about them in the forums, regualr blogs with imagery and video embedding (that's why I bought vBulletin for the community!) volunteering to run an event like a PGD Challenge.
    Speaking of which, I've submitted tutorial and it still has status of "Not published". Can you put it or at least give me powers to actually review/accept/publish things submitted to the site?

I could put some effort to keep the IRC channel up every day, but i can't do that 24/7. It would also be possible to activate the nickserv, but only if i start seeing anyone else than myself every few days I also assume many game programmers are players too, so we could try gather our common knowledge on that matter, and host some multiplayer games.

Speaking of which, I've submitted tutorial and it still has status of "Not published". Can you put it or at least give me powers to actually review/accept/publish things submitted to the site?
    To be honest I hasn't aproved that becouse to me it doesn't seem as tutorial.
    Yes you point out some good points about what pepole will encounter while developing games or other applications but that is not enough for tutorial.
    Tutorial should explain in detail of how to do something like how to develop State Machine for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by User137 View Post
    I could put some effort to keep the IRC channel up every day, but i can't do that 24/7. It would also be possible to activate the nickserv, but only if i start seeing anyone else than myself every few days I also assume many game programmers are players too, so we could try gather our common knowledge on that matter, and host some multiplayer games.
    I use IRC a lot, so I can log-in the channel every time I log to it, even if I'm not an op. May be it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    To be honest I hasn't aproved that becouse to me it doesn't seem as tutorial.
    Yes you point out some good points about what pepole will encounter while developing games or other applications but that is not enough for tutorial.
    Tutorial should explain in detail of how to do something like how to develop State Machine for instance.
    May be a place in the forums to discuss the new tutorials might help.
    No signature provided yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ñuño Martínez View Post
    May be a place in the forums to discuss the new tutorials might help.
    I have opened a discusion about this with site admins. We will shee where it goes.
    Last edited by SilverWarior; 17-07-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Cool, I'll have a look. PGD Staff do not receive notifications of new articles so it really helps to PM any or all of us when you have created something that you would like to have published on the site. And these days I'd recommend PM'ing more than one person. Esp. if you are trying to get a hold of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ñuño Martínez View Post
    Sadly true.

I've found a job, and it will include game development () so may be I can be more "productive".
    Well industry experience is a major plus when taking that experience and applying it to the community here. Knowing how things are done successfully as apposed to poking around in the dark and hoping for the best. lol I can tell you lots about that.

But then I can of course now tell others loads on how to setup and establish an Object Pascal based environment to develop games and apps for OUYA game console and Android. In the end I managed to work with some people that had quite a bit of experience working with professional developers and they taught me a lot too.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    I have opened a discusion about this with site admins. We will shee where it goes.
    Good call! I will throw my spare change in there too so that anyone truly interested can gain the advantage of what "wisdom" I am able to bring to the table.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123