It may be a little while before we get into another PGD Challenge or Jam. So I thought I'd ponder an idea with you guys (and gals, I know of at least 1 here!) about what other types of challenges we could do. And please do tell me if you like mixing it up at all. I know sometimes people do like to keep it straightforward and simple and I'm up for that too. I'm just playing with ideas right now.

What do you guys think of having a Game Design challenge that focuses on the design of a game rather than any of the development. Meaning no programming or generating of game content or assets, just writing, drawing sketching all your ideas about your game into a small PDF or word document of some kind.

For some, this is where a lot of the real creativity comes into it. Programming and creating content that goes into it is really the hard part, but also where you see it realized. It's also where a lot of your bigger or wilder ideas get thrown out too. But just focusing on the creative aspect and looking at ideas for games and then having a finding a way to "score" them if we can might be interesting. What would the categories for that kind of competition or jam be like? Complete-ability, Understandability, Never-Done-Before, Awesomeness?

And what if the best one got picked as the basis for the following challenge? The double prize could be that not only does your game get picked, but that it gets made by a whole bunch of teams with their own individual take as well! Ever wonder what Diablo might have been like if Bethesda made it instead? Or what Halo would have been like if Sega had made it?

The best part of a challenge like this, I humbly think, would be that the only limitations you good folks would have is that of your own ability to draw/write/sketch/mock-up you own ideas before the creation process starts to mangle it and push it into a totally different direction.