Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forums Shake-up!

Blog Entries

Forums Shake-up!

Well I finally got around to moving things around in here. Tell me what you guys think of the layout.

Also take note of the two new main categories; 'Graphics' and 'Sound & Music'.

Please invite all your artist and musician friends.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Forums Shake-up!

Looks overbloated to me, adding graphics and music under design would have been enough.

Blog Entries

Forums Shake-up!

:lol: I supposed you'd prefer a mere 5 single forums huh?

Well all kidding aside, indeed it's still a whopping size of a page for forums. And I have some ideas to shrink it a bit still. However it's implimentation will be the challenge.

What do you guys think of GameDev.net's collapsing categories? It'll be tricky to modify, but I'm sure it can be done.

Anyone else? Common people, I need feeback as this effects everyone who comes to these forums.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Forums Shake-up!

Looks good to me!
    I kinda agree with paulius about the 'Graphics' and 'Sound & Music' sections though. I don't think these sections are popular enough to warrant an entire category.

About GameDev.net's collapsing categories. IMO its an unnecessary feature, I don't use it at all.

Forums Shake-up!

doesnt help that we cant read the link text on the sub forums

Forums Shake-up!

Well I like lots of forums - I like things categoriesed nicely
    William Cairns
    My Games: http://www.cairnsgames.co.za (Currently very inactive)
    MyOnline Games: http://TheGameDeveloper.co.za (Currently very inactive)

Forums Shake-up!

I don't have any strong opinion on which way was the best, but I thought I would point out that it's called "graphics programming" and not "graphics prgramming".
    Signature:
    <br />This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

Forums Shake-up!

Why use the khaki as the link colour you can't actually read the links unless you select it with the mouse.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Blog Entries

Forums Shake-up!

Well, I didn't really 'choose' the yellow-ish color, but thats what the default a tag theme was set for. I'll have to see about fixing the yellow link color issue soon anyhow.

So noone else out of ALL the people who read the forums cares about the changes :roll:
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Forums Shake-up!

I really think your forum hierarchy is very confusing, especially for first-timers.

Please... lets be serious! This site is called Pascal-Game-Development.
    You develop Sound and Music in Pascal? Prolly not

The entire Graphics section is off-topic, Design section is too, in a way.

Help me section is very related to Programming - General and to a bunch of other sections in Programming.

Now, Design - (Technical, Creative) section and Programming - Design ... err... isn't my programming design very creative? (just trying to make a point)

If I would want to post a specific question on PGD, it would be really difficult choosing the required category. I think you guys should seriously reconsider the current forum structure

Also, to illustrate my point, consider this (there're all jokes btw):

1) Why not adding "Microsoft Visual Studio" forum? It's not related, but well... Sound and Music isn't either
    2) Your Projects should be divided in "Your Projects made in Pascal" and "Your Projects not made in Pascal".
    3) Network Programming should be divided in "TCP/IP", "UDP", "HTTP", "SMTP", "Direct-Play", "Help me with this buggy network code" and "Network Design".
    4) Graphics section should also contain forum for Point-Based Modelling, Geometry Images and Fractals
    5) Add PHP, HTML and JavaScript categories! A good Pascal programmer would need a web page to publish his work, right?
    6) GNU Pascal forum is a must! How come you didn't include it before?
    7) New forum for PalmOS Pascal Compiler. If there is Free Pascal, then why not PPC?
    8 ) Where is X86 Assembly + SIMD extensions forum? You can include inline assembly in pascal, so why there's no such forum?
    9) "Completely lost" and "Don't bother to answer" forums should be added to Community section. After all, you wanted more categories

Just some thoughts after playing with ProjectALA (read about it in Off-topic section) for several hours... so don't bother reading this :shock:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast