Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We should advertise some more

Haha, yes, that's it! At least all Game Maker games are using Pascal or better said a Pascal driven engine ...
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Any proof GM was written in Pascal? I don't have time to google now, so please include proof so I won't make myself an idiot when saying that GM was written in Pascal.

If the gpwiki is right Gamemaker is made with Delphi. The MacOS port is done with Lazarus afaik. http://content.gpwiki.org/index.php/Game_Engines
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

i think that proper way of advertasing our language of choice is making good stuff with it and showing it off to the world. Also sharing knowledge as when it comes to game dev, lack of pascal resources is not helping to attract people. As you know writing games is really complex stuff and I usually find my self reading tuts in c, c++ or even java when learning something new. Pascal resources are rarity now days.
    still i think the pascal is slowly working it's way towards a grand comeback

Blog Entries
    If you want to promote the Object Pascal language and it's other dialects then treat it just like any other speaking language. Show off the good stuff, all the tools and the game libraries that can be used. That's how you highlight the good points making it worth learning, knowing and using it for practical development.

There is no one single tool that is the end-all-be-all of the Object Pascal language nor is there a single library. With all the many platforms and hardware to support out there it's such a great thing that there is so many options that all do it differently. Some libraries may be a little better developed and put together than others, but it's all in how you use them as well.

Personally I also make a point to not oversell it and not to knock other programming languages. That kind of debate only cheapens your message and what the public reading your posts perception of you. There was a time however that I was not so level headed and unbiased, but those were lessons learned.

A great way to promote new users is to link to us of course. Don't spam though please.

An even better way to promote the site is to give people something to read and sink their teeth into when they get here. That means news posts about important things like library releases, published games, translation projects and community events. And of course good articles on game development topics. (Please no more, this is how you use my library articles. That belongs in a tutorial in your own game library downloadables.)
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhog View Post
    Any proof GM was written in Pascal?
    Dominique Louis, co-founder of PGD helped them port it over to the Mac for the first time using Delphi and Lazarus. The source was in Object Pascal.

It was one of his last projects while still active in the PGD community. Sadly he never updated JEDI-SDL with better Mac supported headers. Though the older 1.x SDL isn't very nice on Mac post Mountain Lion release.

The source for the tools and interpriter themselves are written in Pascal, but the scripting language used by Game Maker is not.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12