Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CodeTyphon vs. Lazarus

CodeTyphon vs. Lazarus

I'm considering changing IDE to CodeTyphon, but to do that I need to know differences from upstream Lazarus. Can you provide list?

I've checked CodeTyphoon some time ago but there was a problem with installation and I never touched it again. Is it alternative IDE for free pascal or/and Lazarus modification?

I'm using CodeTyphon for cross-plattform development because it's easy to download, install or even create new crossbuild-toolchains withouth having to tinker with a terminal. Right now I've set it up on a 64-Bit Linux (Mint) and it allows me to compile to Linux 32, Linux 64, Windows 32 and Windows 64. For (the near) future I also plan on setting up cross compile to Mac OSX, so all the platforms I want to support can be compiled from a single development environment.

So if you do cross-platform stuff, I'd go for code typhon. The installation is pretty easy and adding new toolchains with ease is a real plus.

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    I've never heard of it personally but I'm definitely going to give it a go now. I've got cross-compilation working perfectly fine with scripts etc I've never had a problem, I'm more interested if the IDE allows me to work quicker than Lazarus.

EDIT : it's just a modifed, packaged up version of Lazarus? I've already modified Lazarus to add things I want and I don't need any help setting up cross compilation. Waste of time unless there's actually tangible additions over Lazarus.

Edit Again : they have done absolutely nothing but add a logo, just some fly by night opportunists that are using the hard work of the Lazarus team to polish their own profile.

Just download the source to FPC and compile it, install Lazarus etc it's really not difficult. These people deserve absolutely no user-base, they've pretty much hidden the fact that it's Lazarus, claiming that *they* are improving it all the time.

Edit Again Again : There's a few examples and a component they've added, that's it. oh and the logo. And all the packages they've added, as if it were their own work, are things like AGGPas, Box2D etc.

What an insult! I'll zip up my lazarus shall I, add my engine then call it 'Code Master 2000'.
    Last edited by phibermon; 10-07-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

Like phibermon has already mentioned CodeTyphon is just a fat version of Lazarus.

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Sorry I've only just gotten up, I'm probably being a little bit unfair but they should make it a lot clearer that it's other peoples work that they're packaging up. The whole site is worded very much like they are the soul creators.

If any of the devs are reading by the way, I explicitly deny you permission to add any of my code to your project. And in addition I'll add a clause to the open licence I use if I must, specifically stating that inclusion of the source-code in any form of development like project is dependant upon that project clearly stating, where everybody can see it, who's work they've included, in what capacity and to provide links to those projects.

You should be *proud* to say you've included work from others, you should acknowledge your appriciation of their work and make effort to funnel users their way. You don't hide it all so you can pretend you're awesome.

In the docs for my engine I even credit projects that have inspired me let alone bits of code I've used, if I feel that any design I've seen has influenced mine then it's stated.

Credit where credit is due.
    Last edited by phibermon; 10-07-2013 at 01:16 PM.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

Yeah, that's true. The "sell" something like it was their work which acutally isn't. I'm still not 100% sure on wether to continue using it or to even promote it, as it actually lacks a reference to Lazarus.

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Willems View Post
    Yeah, that's true. The "sell" something like it was their work which acutally isn't. I'm still not 100% sure on wether to continue using it or to even promote it, as it actually lacks a reference to Lazarus.
    Moreover it is not very transparent and not very accountable. It is not clear what they changed and what not. Not much flows back into Lazarus, not even quality bugreports. Despite their somewhat annoying advocacy, they do some nice work with packaging (I'm less impressed with their Lazarus changes), but I'm afraid that when CT collapses, nothing from those efforts will live on.

As a style comment, personally I don't like their renaming of units either.

I agree with Phibermon. CodeTyphoon is a so great insult to the Open Source developers that if I ever meet one of the codetyphon developers I will punch the guy right in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodrigo Robles View Post
    I agree with Phibermon. CodeTyphoon is a so great insult to the Open Source developers that if I ever meet one of the codetyphon developers I will punch the guy right in the face.
    I actually came to that very same conclusion. They really hide that CT is actually only based on FPC / Lazarus, and especially on their website they market it as it was their own work.

So I decided to not use it anymore and built the necessary cross-compilers that I need myself and went back to lazarus again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast