Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: WILL's Prototype Designs

WILL's Prototype Designs

Here's the beginings of an interface idea.

[size=9px](Heavy WIP)[/size]

Yes, No?

Blog Entries

WILL's Prototype Designs

What the- ... I... err... umm... :cry: It's so beautiful....

:drool:

... I could not have asked for better.

It's friggin' awesome man! I was just thinking of something almost exactly to that effect. I like the halogram/neon/electro feel you are using... In fact... I'm sold in the concept for the menu. Nice work!

Can it be animated :think:

Oh and I think I MAY, and I must put the emphasis on may have a running title for it already. And I'm terrible at naming things sometimes, btw. Cyber-Crisis.

I don't know if it's already used, but it best matches the game's story and theme I think.

A world-wide civilization on the verge of destruction by an army of robots and the only thing that can save them from this crisis is the original robot made while developing the technology that was stolen to create it all. But he is severly out numbered and out dated. Or is he...?

[size=9px]Wow, once the PGD competition is over I think I should get that level editor together so we can start designing maps. I pretty much know the rest of the proccess from there. All in all, I think with the awesome story, graphics and yet to be heard music, we'll have a winner here. ...I'm hoping! [/size]
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

WILL's Prototype Designs

Menu idea is really cool, but the holographic emitters need to look more like projectors than cable sockets. The currect methods to make a 3D hologram require 3 projectors at 120A¬? angles for correct display. Unless of course, it's just a flat holographic plate... Bah, whatever looks good.

Just a little nitpick, sorry.

And it's H-o-l-o-g-r-a-m, not HALOgram, you silly Canadian you. [size=7px]HALOgram *bashes head on wall*[/size]

*spelling freak, away!*

Oh, and I found "Space Ninja Cyber Crisis" but it certainly seems to be nothing threatening. No longer for sale, and it looks like a failed indie project to me.

Um, Will? Why does that sound SooOOo much like Megaman to me? :roll:

Blog Entries

WILL's Prototype Designs

About mega-man similarity: Hmm... save the actual army part and make it only a handful of super powerful robots instead, and that these 8 robots can apparently take out the equivelent of a human armada, hmm... well maybe it's close then.

It's close in some respects, but not quite there. For instance, the idea of a madman trying to take over the world is similar, yes. Megaman as the original robot, no in fact his older brother Protoman was in fact the original. But the brother theme that you will be presented with later on in the game is not very similar. He will be evil, you are not and in this you fight to the other's destruction.

Our robot dreams, Megaman doesn't [size=9px](and if he ever does I'll sue CapCom for franchise infringement, :lol: j/k)[/size]. Its that one thing that makes him different. He has hidden desires to become something better than he is. And maybe he even has a 'conciousness', a scientific feat that all scientsits in the field of robotics have been trying to do for year and years [size=9px](and this will be further in the future from now so much longer than we here in reality have been trying)[/size].

The idea behind the main 'villan' of the game is that he has been seeking power for years and upon hearing about the robot and how his creator had possibly made the worlds first sentient robot, he started after him to obtain the technology to produce such robots into an army to replace his own sometimes dis-loyal human force.

-- oh look, now. You got me on a rant. :lol: --

Ok, well last thing I'll also pick out about similarities is the gameplay, you will get upgrades, yes, but unlike megaman you not only upgrade what weapon you have, but you'll get constant things to improve your jumpping capabilities, armour, night vision, hands! , some cosmetic changes, sometimes just data discs that contain valuable information. And beyond that, the weapons you use are going to be way cooler!

Now back to the art:
    As for the HOLOgram effect, I like it. Everything right down to the coloUr. The projectors could stand to look a bit grubbier, morelike they are old or something. Mostly for the 'old-world meets new', type mechanical effect. In the background, it might be neat/fun to have something like that big orangy looking worker bot doing some work in the background. I like to think of this character I want to put in the game as a sort of mechanic/workshop handy-err ...bot.

You'll run into him maybe a few times in the industrial part of the city, or possibly in a junkyard cleaning up old parts. Maybe he'll be the one that helps you with some of your more complicated upgrades and to recharge/fix yourself when you are broken or running low on juice? You do have an old battery after all. [size=9px](Megaman never had to worry about his battery now did he? :lol[/size]

Anyhow, yes, like I said maybe we can have the background as the character's workshop or something... Hmm... what to call him though... perhaps, G.U.S. He's the last working G.U.S. bot from a time when they were used to help the lack of man-power in the Electrical Mechanical workers union called 'General Union Service' or something like that. Gus, just sounds like a grease monkey's name, dunno why.

<center>[img]awaken/images/ROBOT_MILENARY.jpg[/img]
    [size=9px]Concept for G.U.S., the mechanic bot![/size]</center>
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

WILL's Prototype Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kosek
    The currect methods to make a 3D hologram require 3 projectors at 120A¬? angles for correct display.
    Heh heh, I knew someone was going to be all technical :fuzzy: . I tried multiple projectors, but there's really not enough space to put 3 projectors for every Hologram, and I still have more options to put in too.

I'm working on making it more grubby looking, kinda all shiny and polished, but with wires and electronics hanging out (...if you noticed the wires hanging in the background).

---

I like the idea of a repair bot/worker droid/etc. In fact, I started modeling a concept already :thumbup: :
    [size=9px](Sorry for the no colour, and plz ignore the legs )[/size]

I just had to give him a hat .
    Let me know...

(Lol, Gus :mrgreen

WILL's Prototype Designs

K4Z, I think you are doing a great job!

But, to be honest, I'd like to see this all in action! When can we expect a sample of the game??

WILL's Prototype Designs

Well, nothing in this this thread is concrete until WILL's completely happy with it, so somethings won't make it into the game.
    The project has been plagued with a lot of distractions so far, and sample releases will most likely be slowed even further with the upcomming PGD comp :? .

But I'm still very positive this game will be completed and a success, just need to have a little patience :thumbup:.

Blog Entries

WILL's Prototype Designs

Neat concept K4Z!

Ok, the ugly first(no not the legs :twisted, those little arms thingies in his chest/utility belt?, that you probably worked on for about an hour or so, nuke em! :lol: Sorry, man thats too feature packed. Remember these G.U.S. things wrre discontinued, don't make him too handy. I think just the big clumbsy arms and hands are good enough without too much of a challenge. The idea of him using hand help tools, as bulky or unhumanly capable of holding is great. Really adds to the what the heck, factor. This guy has to be a bit 'funny', NOT HAHA FUNNY, just oh... well thats amusing, funny.

Maybe a cutting torch in his finger or something too, who knows... just don't make him look like he has it all in one, or what is he doing in the scrap pile fixing 'junk'?!?

Oh and he has to look a bit dirty and rusty, at the very least like he's been around awhile and has had somee heavy usage. He is afterall living in a scrap/junk parts yard.

Oh and try light, light(almost white) blue colored eyes. This guy does not come from the same 'robo-gene pool' as our hero. This IS years later and robots still continued and evolved without the good Doctor's works. So smarter robots, no REAL cyber sentience or robo-soul. If that makes much sense at all.

Basically make them look like a whole different design origins than the Doctor's work.

Oh and if I didn't confuse you yet about this guy, can you try to make him look like he has a hat, but without it being an actual hat? ie. use some design trick to give the shape or apearance of the hat-like feature into the head, but only slightly?

I'm not sure the hat fits, but I'm willing to try a compromize to test it's effect into this guy's design.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

WILL's Prototype Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kosek
    The currect methods to make a 3D hologram require 3 projectors at 120A¬? angles for correct display.
    Yes but this game is set in the future, so conceivably they would have improved the technology so that you only need 2 or even 1 projector and maybe event started using sockets ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    Oh and I think I MAY, and I must put the emphasis on may have a running title for it already. And I'm terrible at naming things sometimes, btw. Cyber-Crisis.
    I'm not overly keen to see Cyber in the title, as loads of games have Cyber this, Cyber that. Has the story changed since the last time I visited the thread? Can you post a small recap for the slow ones like me.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

WILL's Prototype Designs

Update: Just ignore all colour for now, still toying with ideas .

Heh, the little arms on his belly were actually the main focus of the design. And they are used in conjunction with easily grabbing things from little containers in his belly .

(The current look of them are just place holders till I model better looking ones, so if you didn't like them because of the look, they will be changed)

You first mentioned the robot as doing work in the background the on holographic interface, then as working in a junkyard, so from a design point that's some pretty varied work, hence big ol arms for holding heavy things while the little arms get into the little parts.
    I took it as he was an all in one, still in good use robot; not only working on junk, but big clumbsy hands wouldn't work very well when working on complicated new technology like the main character. :mrgreen:

Maybe I could remove the little arms, and some other things, and make and older mark 1 model, one that would be used in a junk yard.

---
    I understand what you said about the hat, and it's kind of already like that. The hat is actually his head, it's not a seperate piece. I did have it more subtle looking but a friend was making fun of how it looked. :joker:
    ---

The main idea behind his design, was to take a stereotypical overwieght gas station mechanic, and use his appearance as an asset. His overall design was to be kept humanoid as this particular model was built for a variety of jobs, including interacting with people. (If I ever do a junk yard cutscene, which would be pretty cool, I'll make all sorts of abstract looking worker droids more suited to junk yard work )

---
    I don't really like the word 'cyber' in the title either. To me, 'cyber' is a niche word that computer illiterate people use when they're talking about stuff they don't understand :shhh:. But it's good for a running title for now.

Yes, a quick recap would be a good idea. I'm sure I've forgotten more of the important stuff. (Heh, and with nearly every post WILL does he leaks a little bit of information that he's never mentioned before :scratch: )

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast