First some information on why I want to start this project:
I played the game for a while on the GBA and I saw how many forums have dedicated themselves to this game.
Downside to the gameboy game is that you can only play eachother via a link cable. This means you can't play over the internet.
Since there's no PC version I plan to make my own interpretation.

What I plan on making:
-The game world (map) will be isometric, using a tile based world. So I simply stack blocks which are 64x48 pixels each.
-The main character will be an isometric sprite with a walking and jumping animation (I don't see why I should add more, maybe later)
-The world map will be divided in screens of 10x10 blocks, when you walk out of the screen, you enter the next (should save the comp a lot of calculating)
-The way of giving orders to the little critters will be the same
-The visual representation of battling will be the isometric too. You will see 2 critters battling on a 3x9 field (in case of evasion or a miss, the critter will jump sideways and get back on the center row afterwards).
-I will make up my own critters, unless lots of people like the actual pokemon in the game.
-I will make 3d models in truespace (low poly & low detail) and convert them to sprites using a home made program (in delphi).
-When the basic game is finished I will attempt to make an elaborate map editor so I can add extra episodes to the game.
-The critter sprites will be more elaborate. There will be a small spriteset for each basic attack. Advanced attacks will be made more beautiful to watch because I will add effect sprites to make them look more powerfull.

What I've done so far:
- A 10x10 field with blocks of random height (1 or 2 high)
- A walking dude which runs and jumps (keeping the block hight in account when jumping up/down or walking). He's controlled by using the arrow keys.
- A scroll function. This means that the camera always centers on the main dude. This looks funny when jumping because you see the background moving up and down then

I'll add a screenshot and a demo next monday (because then I'll be near the computer with the game again)

A demo of an older version can be found here:
http://webserv.nhl.nl/~kampe001/tactics.zip

I'm curious about what you thik of this.
Since you seem to have lots of ideas about game making I have a few questions about this game, some advice would be nice:
- Would the ISO sprites be nicer when I draw them in a 3d program or would the cartoon style be better?
- Should I use actual pokemon or would it be more original/better to think up my own?
- Should I keep the Z-axis scroll? (not visible in the current demo) This scroll makes the screen scroll when jumping too.
- I've been thinking of making the game world simple, This means I won't add big houses and mansions.. It will be mostly trees and small huts then. This gives the natural feel. Do you agree with me on this one?
- Most important question. I told you earlier I wanted to make this game because there is no PC version with networking/internet support. Is this actually true?