Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Loading DX Textures in an imagelist - which is the fastest?

Loading DX Textures in an imagelist - which is the fastest?

Reading up on pngout, it only reduces the file size by using better compression. The image data once unpacked is exactly the same. In the case we are looking at, it will not help us in any way.

Trivia: pngout is written by Ken Silverman, the author of the Build engine used for Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, Blood, etc.

Any results, Firlefanz?

Hi Sly,

had no time yesterday, I'll try and let you know, thanks.

Firle

Hi Sly,

loading is working now and displkaying with Draw and Draw4Col is also working. It just seems we have still a little problem with transparency or something. My mouse cursor was transparent before, now it is displayed without transparency (black). This was the same problem I had when trying to use DDS format. It uses Draw method, blendmode is 0, all colors and alpha are 255. Any idea?

Firle

Have you tried timing the difference between the old-style loading and the new one? It would be interesting to see if there is a significant improvement to the load times.

I never tried a transparent image. I will try to find out what's going wrong with it when I get home.

I cannot even get a masked image to work with the standard OmegaImageList. Firle, is there anything special I have to do other than set Transparent to True and set the TransparentColor?

Hi Sly,

create two image, store them in your imagelist and save.

Then load, fill your screen with one image. The other image should have some black areas. Then set Transparent=true and transparentcolor=rgb(0,0,0) and draw it on mouse coordinates. It is not transparent in my case.

The old imagelist stored those both values, is it just I have to set them after loading again myself now?

I didn't have much time to test it all enough, but I will this weekend.

Thanks,
    Firle

The new file does store both the Transparent flag and the TransparentColor, so I'm confused as to why it isn't working. But then, I couldn' get masking to work when manually adding the image to the list either and setting both those properties.

Do I need to use a certain BlendMode to get the image to show masked? I was using the default of bmNormal. Is that right?

Anonymous

Bmnormal should be working fine. Perhaps you can sent me a sample or should I make a sample for you?

firle

If you could send me an example that you know works, that would be helpful.

Email is stevewilliams@kromestudios.com

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast