Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3rd PGD Challenge Discussion

Blog Entries

Question 3rd PGD Challenge Discussion

So if I held a 3rd PGD Challenge this summer, would there be any interest if it was a "Jam" instead of a straight judged competition?

We could have a handful of "winners" if say each PGD staff member were to pick one that they liked the most and these games were just listed as "picks" instead of any kind of 1st, 2nd or 3rd places. What do you guys think of this idea?

Is there any interest in a 3rd PGD Challenge at all? I would like to know as I have been thinking about it and don't want to have another well... flop, for lack of another term, like the last PGD Annual and all kinds of effort was put into a competition that for all we know only 4 people participated.

So far PGD Challenge submission have been decent, but is that just because I caught the community on a good day?

Also there wasn't much "talk" on the Event thread about the design competition concept. Is that lack of interest in the "design" challenge or in PGD community events at all?

Give us some feedback folks! I need to know if I should keep trying to do something and if there are those out there that want to take part in one of these events.

Thanks for all those that have participated in past events and I really hope to do more in the future. Hopefully with less turn-around time required so we can keep the community energized and active.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Im trying to be a little more active on this forum now so here it goes. I have never been in any PGD challenge before but a few things I would find interesting:
    There was a discussion on here some time about an AI challenge were everybody would basically code their own AI for a game and compete against each other. It kinda died because nobody wanted or could code the game but I would still find it interesting.

The idea with the "picks" seems good to me. I find it interesting when several people code a game to the same theme and see what the different developers make of it.

Of course we should have a lot of participants. Come on guys!

Cheers!

Or even winner-less (or rather "everyone's winner") sort of deal. Since I guess there wouldn't be prizes anyway, I think it could be great to do some games with common theme.

A Jam might be a good idea, only make sure not to run into Ludum Dare.

I would gladly participate, but I'm afraid I won't have much time lately as I recently been asigned to new workplace and therefore I have to learn a lot since my current job is compleetly different from previous.

Well, it depends on the "theme". If it's interesting for me I would participate.
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhog View Post
    Or even winner-less (or rather "everyone's winner") sort of deal. Since I guess there wouldn't be prizes anyway, I think it could be great to do some games with common theme.
    Depending on dates, I'll try to join in.
    No signature provided yet.

Blog Entries
    Well since we are asking about dates, how does starting sometime next month (August) sound?

When does the next Ludum Dare take place? I don't think there is one running now is there? My twitter app isn't humming with the sounds of LD so I think we are in a safe zone, yes?

Duration; what do you guys think would be a good time-frame? 2 weeks? 3 weeks? a whole month? How fast can you guys put together a prototype that is playable and gets the basic gameplay across?

The picks idea is just to make it interesting for those that are not participating and when showing off what everyone did to highlight things that were accomplished among the whole event. Really it's mostly just dressing for interest's sake.

And well theme I would pick out something cool, interesting yet something that doesn't have to be a huge game project and could be completed in a matter of weeks for an event. It's kept secret so that everyone is "on par" when the event begins. So far no one has outright hated any of my themes so far. (That they have told me lol) And if you are not crazy about this theme, the idea is that there is another one around the corner in the next challenge that you'll probably like more.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Do I really have to bump the thread?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

As I have written before I probably won't have much time due to new job so dates doesn't matter much to me as I will have verrylitle time for the next few months but I'll still try to participate anywhay.

As for the duration of the challenge longer it will be easier it will be for me.

As for theme why not create some simple strategy game or maybe arcade game with larger map.
    Not long ago there was discusion about making AI challenge and the main problem for making it was the fact that we would need some base game for making AI challenge.
    So why not make this challenge in such a way so we actually develop a game which could then be used as base game for making AI challenge in the future?
    Now we don't need to develop it in such a way so that it will use AI right from the start but in a way so that it could be easily modified/extended by adding computer AI to it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast