Thread: PGD Challenge Theme Ideas & Suggestions

Blog Entries

Lightbulb PGD Challenge Theme Ideas & Suggestions

Since people are always interested in what the theme would be why not pool some ideas for themes in a thread right? I may not pick any of them so no promises guys, but if something stands out and I really like it, I might!

So what ideas do you think would make a great theme for a PGD Challenge mini competition or game jam?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I don't have any awesome ideas for now, but the AI contest has been in mind. There was 1 related forum topic month ago about process IO, on how to use writeln/readln to make multi-process communication:
    http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/...c,21228.0.html
    It would just be a matter of putting it all together, when motivation burst happens Whoever writes a general class for this first, would solve all possible future AI contest problems.

Blog Entries
    Theme ideas I have had considered in the past: (and may again in the future)

• User generated content
    • Single screen
    • AI enemies and/or players
    • Side view
    • Building, creating and designing
    • Abstract visual design

Themes for the PGD Challenge will usually be focused on an aspect of game mechanics or game design.

As much as I love AI, I don't think I would want to narrow it down to a contest of scripts inside of a simulated environment. As neat as past events like this are, we are about making games more than pooling all our efforts into just one feature of a game no? (That said, you can still create your own engine and platform and hold competitions with those interested.)

I may post more ideas later... we'll see.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

The SpeedHack competition uses the Rule-o-matic (on the left), a database with lots of themes and ideas and builds the contest rules...
    No signature provided yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ñuño Martínez View Post
    The SpeedHack competition uses the Rule-o-matic (on the left), a database with lots of themes and ideas and builds the contest rules...
    That could be pretty fun. It could result in some interesting games.

I was also one of the guys talking about an AI competition but I fully understand that it may not be PGD Challenge compatible.

So I'm going to suggest a theme I suggested a few years back for one of the PGD Annuals.
    How about "Your Country" as a theme. Make a game which you feel relates to your own country.
    You can go with stereotypes and for instance make a game about The Pizza and Ferrari Mafia if you're from Italy or maybe be more serious and make a game about Volta, Galilei and or da Vinci.
    Basically anything goes as long as you can justify that it relates to your own country.

Pros:
    You can pretty much make any kind of game and are not limited in game mechanics.
    You should be somewhat knowledgeable about the theme.
    Other uses may learn and discover new things about your country.

Cons:
    There aren't any
    This is purely a design theme. It doesn't address any game mechanic requirements.
    As a design theme it may lead people down the wrong road where they focus more on gfx and other game assets in stead of writing a game. Since this is a forum mostly occupied by programmers this could be a problem for some.
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits