Thread: ReactOS - Does anyone care...

ReactOS - Does anyone care...

Hi All,
    just wondeing what you guys thought of ReactOS, the OpenSource WinXP replacement.

Will it take off? Does anyone care?
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Interesting!

Not sure if it'll take off, or if I care ... yet.

Just checked it out, read some FAQs, manuals and forum.

It is a very attractive project, if I had more free time, I'd definitely install and check it out. Personally, I'm not very optimistic about Windows Vista as I still am not very fond of .NET either (after BDS 2006 came out, C# looks less attractive now ).

I hate .NET and am loathe to consider Vista as well ... and I concur about C# as well. Though some swear by .NET, I think it's a bad thing ... mainly since it can screw up essential things if the latest version is flawed.

It how my entire COM/OLE interface blew up one time...

I've heard about it a while ago and downloaded the preloaded QEMU version. Very buggy and very slow.
    But it has potential, and if the developers will reach beta status in the soon future, it could be capable of reducing the influence of Windows. I hope so.
    As I read in the german forum, Delphi applications doesn't work (well) under ReactOS.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

delphi apps used not to work

it is progressing fast now, it was a lot more buggy year ago, they are working on it a lot, see #reactos on freenode, networking also works now, and bugs are squashed regulary.
    This is my game project - Top Down City:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...y-Topic-Reboot

My OpenAL audio wrapper with Intelligent Source Manager to use unlimited:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...source+manager

Well it still doesn't run properly on a 64 bit processor (locks up before it can even boot). So while I'm keeping an eye on it, its useless to me : (.