View Poll Results: Would you buy "Light" Edition of Delphi at $199? (Read thread for description!)

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO and/or it's too much!

14 56.00%
  • YES, but it's a bit high. (Post what you think is fair!)

1 4.00%
  • YES!

7 28.00%
  • YES, but I need the tools to run on ______ OS.

3 12.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much would you pay for this concept for a "Light" Delphi Edition?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    While it does sound like a great idea, don't think I'd be willing or able to invest 200$ into Delphi. But, I may be biased towards fpc/lazarus. I'm quite sure a lot of people would need and want such an edition of Delphi.
    Existence is pain

In the world of freebies, $200 is a lot to many people, not least students, but it is nothing for me if it does what I need. But it has to work on OSX, and give me something more than FPC already does.

I don't really care that much for the IDE - I write most of my code in simple editors; syntax highlighting is enough, I rarely even use autocompletion. So unless the packages included something FPC does not have, the compiler produced better executables, or it had better multi-platform support, I don't think I would be anyhow interested.

I wouldn't buy it unless it had some bitchin features which I don't see listed here

I would pay more than $200 if it would be backwards compatible with old Delphis and truly really cross-platform (Win/Linux/Mac/iOS and Android) with easy installation.

I do use FPC for cross-compiling for Windows/Mac/iOS. And it works very well.... But, for iOS for me it still a pain because :

- It was a pain to make it works first time, I had to apply lot of fixes and configure everything by hand. Until now I had to compile everything using command line scripts (thanks Andrey Kemka) before using the XCode. I upgraded twice my Mac OS, and I would like to format my Mac and reinstall everything, but I'm very afraid of doing this and does not be able to make everything works again!
    - Debugging for iOS is still a pain! I have to "use my imagination" to be able to set breakpoints, and the Stack Call Trace sometimes simple does not works.

Quote Originally Posted by wagenheimer View Post
    I would pay more than $200 if it would be backwards compatible with old Delphis and truly really cross-platform (Win/Linux/Mac/iOS and Android) with easy installation.
    true. If it had one button deploy on each platform it would be worth saving time and nerves for $200

Yes but only if it does support both 32 bit and 64 bit compiler/debigger. The biggest advantage of current Starter edition is absence of 64 bit compiler/debugger.
    Also I would expect to have fully featured code editor and not limted as in current Starter edition.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laggyluk View Post
    I wouldn't buy it unless it had some bitchin features which I don't see listed here
    Do you mean in the code editor? Does language features and code manipulation/navigation features count?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Vegeta View Post
    I don't really care that much for the IDE - I write most of my code in simple editors; syntax highlighting is enough, I rarely even use autocompletion. So unless the packages included something FPC does not have, the compiler produced better executables, or it had better multi-platform support, I don't think I would be anyhow interested.
    Really? Not even code navigation to jump from declaration to implementation and back? My game projects get so big with all the different "systems" it supports I would die if I had to find everything without this feature.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

They do already have a product named Delphi Starter Edition priced at $199 usd: https://store.embarcadero.com/542/ca...?id=dQI9xhHa2E

Granted it's not ideal in many ways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast