View Poll Results: Would you buy "Light" Edition of Delphi at $199? (Read thread for description!)

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO and/or it's too much!

14 56.00%
  • YES, but it's a bit high. (Post what you think is fair!)

1 4.00%
  • YES!

7 28.00%
  • YES, but I need the tools to run on ______ OS.

3 12.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much would you pay for this concept for a "Light" Delphi Edition?

Blog Entries

Question How much would you pay for this concept for a "Light" Delphi Edition?

How much would you pay for this product based on the below feature set and packaging? Is $199--same cost as Delphi Starter--a good price?

I'm looking to get some good feedback to present a proper "business case" to prove that this would be a good product and something that people would actually invest in if treated the right way.

Delphi Light Edition which includes the following:

• Native Compiler/Linker
    • Debugging Tools
    • IDE Standard with Full featured Code Editor (no Form Designer!) w/ Refactoring, highlighting, look-up, navigation, etc.
    • Full RTL (minus Component stuff)
    • Documentation
    • Probably included: Indy and XML libraries
    • Possible bundles/products: Delphi Light for Windows, Delphi Light for Mac* & Delphi Light for Linux*

* Plus or minus IDEs for these versions until later (command-line compiler only until then)...

Things NOT included:

• No license limitation on earn-able profits! (no strings attached!)
    • VLC or any "components framework" (TComponent or TDataSet or any of it's children)
    • DB Components or any other business related component stuff (you can use other 3rd party libraries)
    • Form Designer (just the Code Editor!)
    • FireMonkey

The key points of this theoretical edition is no components concept, low cost, but NO strings attached. You can use whatever 3rd party libraries, just like other tools. You can make as much profit with it as you are able. They sky is the limit. You still get the same quality of tools as you got before, it's just lighter.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

While it does sound like a great idea, don't think I'd be willing or able to invest 200$ into Delphi. But, I may be biased towards fpc/lazarus. I'm quite sure a lot of people would need and want such an edition of Delphi.
    Existence is pain

In the world of freebies, $200 is a lot to many people, not least students, but it is nothing for me if it does what I need. But it has to work on OSX, and give me something more than FPC already does.

I don't really care that much for the IDE - I write most of my code in simple editors; syntax highlighting is enough, I rarely even use autocompletion. So unless the packages included something FPC does not have, the compiler produced better executables, or it had better multi-platform support, I don't think I would be anyhow interested.

I wouldn't buy it unless it had some bitchin features which I don't see listed here

I would pay more than $200 if it would be backwards compatible with old Delphis and truly really cross-platform (Win/Linux/Mac/iOS and Android) with easy installation.

I do use FPC for cross-compiling for Windows/Mac/iOS. And it works very well.... But, for iOS for me it still a pain because :

- It was a pain to make it works first time, I had to apply lot of fixes and configure everything by hand. Until now I had to compile everything using command line scripts (thanks Andrey Kemka) before using the XCode. I upgraded twice my Mac OS, and I would like to format my Mac and reinstall everything, but I'm very afraid of doing this and does not be able to make everything works again!
    - Debugging for iOS is still a pain! I have to "use my imagination" to be able to set breakpoints, and the Stack Call Trace sometimes simple does not works.

Yes but only if it does support both 32 bit and 64 bit compiler/debigger. The biggest advantage of current Starter edition is absence of 64 bit compiler/debugger.
    Also I would expect to have fully featured code editor and not limted as in current Starter edition.

Quote Originally Posted by wagenheimer View Post
    I would pay more than $200 if it would be backwards compatible with old Delphis and truly really cross-platform (Win/Linux/Mac/iOS and Android) with easy installation.
    true. If it had one button deploy on each platform it would be worth saving time and nerves for $200

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laggyluk View Post
    I wouldn't buy it unless it had some bitchin features which I don't see listed here
    Do you mean in the code editor? Does language features and code manipulation/navigation features count?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Vegeta View Post
    I don't really care that much for the IDE - I write most of my code in simple editors; syntax highlighting is enough, I rarely even use autocompletion. So unless the packages included something FPC does not have, the compiler produced better executables, or it had better multi-platform support, I don't think I would be anyhow interested.
    Really? Not even code navigation to jump from declaration to implementation and back? My game projects get so big with all the different "systems" it supports I would die if I had to find everything without this feature.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast