View Poll Results: What do you think about the OUYA?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don't care about it.

2 20.00%
  • What's an OUYA?

0 0%
  • Want to play games on it!

3 30.00%
  • Want to make games for it!

6 60.00%
  • Awesome emulation machine.

3 30.00%
  • Great electronics project.

2 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is interested in OUYA?

Blog Entries

Question Who is interested in OUYA?

This is less of a dev talk and more of a general game console it's self topic. Do you want to get one? Make a game for it? Don't know what it is?

Just in general what do you think or are you interested?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I'm interested in trying it out somteime in the future. It is also posible that I'll try to make my games compatible with OUYA athleast those simpler ones. I have big goals
    But right now my financial situation prevents me from investing anything into new hardware.

I've got one but haven't started it yet. I've just moved to Slovakia and now I have an old CRT TV so I don't know when I'll be able to use it.
    But I do plan on playing with it at some point and maybe make a small game for it.
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

I personally was put off by the tax forms and I was kind of lost after looking at what they are asking in those forms (the non US one). So if anyone gets through this paperwork and actually manages to publish a game for ouya, please let everyone know how you did it.

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    You need some kind of permission to publish for OUYA? oh, well as long as it's a simple enough process. Not sure what the uptake will be on the console but being as it's android I'm assuming very little has to be done to support it if you already support the OS.

Don't have the opportunity to play with it unfortunately, would love to hear peoples experiences however. Anybody else got a Pandora?
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

I'm not interested in the OUYA. Not as a developer (don't like that Java-thing) nor as a gamer. As a (retro) gamer I'd rather build my own console based on a Raspberry Pi. It's cheaper and more fun. And Freepascal works natively.
    I'm rather sure that's the next gadget I'll buy. (Not to mention that there is a open source RiscOS). And it's much cheaper than a OUYA. If I - on the other hand - would buy a console for AAA gaming it probably would be a PS4 or XBox One.
    Sorry, but I don't get that OUYA thing. I could plug my Android tablet into my TV and can play the games from Google Playstore, so why should I buy another Android machine?
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I personally was put off by the tax forms and I was kind of lost after looking at what they are asking in those forms (the non US one). So if anyone gets through this paperwork and actually manages to publish a game for ouya, please let everyone know how you did it.
    Yeah, I hate tax paperwork too. But even Apple does this and I'm sure everyone else if you want to sell your games. I don't know if OUYA does this as a blanket requirement or not yet. Should find out soon. And I'm Canadian.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phibermon View Post
    You need some kind of permission to publish for OUYA? oh, well as long as it's a simple enough process. Not sure what the uptake will be on the console but being as it's android I'm assuming very little has to be done to support it if you already support the OS.
    To publish, yes. Though you could just use it to make games that have a home on console hardware and played whereever you physically bring it yourself. Not as appealing as sharing it with a community of gamers though. It's actually very easy to develop on. Install the USB drivers and you can compile right to it from Oxygene or whatever other development tools you use just like you can with an Android tablet or phone. You can even "sideload" the apk "bundles" as an alternate means of getting your game on the platform for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybermonkey View Post
    I'm not interested in the OUYA. Not as a developer (don't like that Java-thing) nor as a gamer.
    Java actually isn't that bad anymore. I used to hate it, but seeing how it's used these days I'm much more impressed with what you can do. Especially on the OUYA's Tegra 3!

Quote Originally Posted by Cybermonkey View Post
    Sorry, but I don't get that OUYA thing. I could plug my Android tablet into my TV and can play the games from Google Playstore, so why should I buy another Android machine?
    Because it's a tablet hooked up to a TV running tablet games on a TV. It's not a game console running console games on it.

OUYA isn't just another Android device, it's a game console for indies and gamers who like those games with an intergrated store front. It just uses Android as it's engine.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    This probably explains the concept rather well...

This was posted in 2012 so quite a bit has changed, but it's a good insight into what the concept is. (and I got a pretty girl to do it too! )
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Here is a review that's a little bit more up to date...

Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast