View Poll Results: What do you think about the OUYA?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don't care about it.

2 20.00%
  • What's an OUYA?

0 0%
  • Want to play games on it!

3 30.00%
  • Want to make games for it!

6 60.00%
  • Awesome emulation machine.

3 30.00%
  • Great electronics project.

2 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is interested in OUYA?

I'm not really interested in consoles, and I am too used to keyboard+mouse controls - playing with a pad is hard for me. I don't think I could make a good use out of an OUYA. Not mentioning that, given the exchange rates, it costs around 1/2 of my monthly wage*, and that's a bit too big of an amount to spend on something that I don't even know if I'll like.

* I mean, for the 2-controllers kit - what's the point if I can't play with anyone else?
    Last edited by Super Vegeta; 06-08-2013 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Java actually isn't that bad anymore. I used to hate it, but seeing how it's used these days I'm much more impressed with what you can do. Especially on the OUYA's Tegra 3!

Because it's a tablet hooked up to a TV running tablet games on a TV. It's not a game console running console games on it.

OUYA isn't just another Android device, it's a game console for indies and gamers who like those games with an intergrated store front. It just uses Android as it's engine.
    But it's still a pain to use Freepascal to compile for Android. Better use an ARM Linux and FPC.
    Yes, I know this. But from what I have heard, people trying hard to get the Playstore working on OUYA.
    So my tablet has USB ports, I can plug in a keyboard, mouse, joystick whatever and there are apps that I can use them with almost any game. Nevertheless I am more interested in emulators, so a Pi is my No. 1 choice, heck I can even change the operating system if I wish ...
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Quote Originally Posted by Cybermonkey View Post
    so aPi is my No. 1 choice, heck I can even change the operating system if I wish ...
    Hell, that reminds me I was supposed to look for some Pi-compatible controller and try to write a game for it. That'd be fun.

Blog Entries
    So my tablet has USB ports, I can plug in a keyboard, mouse, joystick whatever and there are apps that I can use them with almost any game.
    Your home computer doesn't happen to look like this does it?

sinistar_bottom.jpg

Seriously though, that sort of rigging just isn't my bag man. I like that I have a commercial grade (low end albeit!) gaming console that I can develop my games on and sell to gamers who love indie games. Google Play is for tablets and phones. The user experience for those doesn't translate to the TV always.

The Pi looks cool, I've seen it before. It's just too hobby-only-ish for what I'd like to do. Fun if you want to build a game console though! (I enjoy playing with electronics as well.)

But it's a totally different concept from what the OUYA is. You kind of have to be interested in video game console development and you'd have to have been the kind of person that has always wanted to get your games on a major console at least a little bit.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Sure, you are right. But for me the no. 1 indie platform is still the PC. How many (casual) gamers own a PC and how many own a OUYA? Here I have to pay about 130 € for the OUYA and I can get the Wii U for example for 199-230 €. I'm not convinced that there are enough gamers for a lively market. That said, I am more interested in developing computer games.
    Last edited by Cybermonkey; 06-08-2013 at 10:00 AM.
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

(...) As a (retro) gamer I'd rather build my own console based on a Raspberry Pi. It's cheaper and more fun. And Freepascal works natively.
    That sounds nice. Tell us when it starts to work.
    No signature provided yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ñuño Martínez View Post
    That sounds nice. Tell us when it starts to work.
    No problem. Others did that already: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-yo...sole-498561192
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Seems there will be a new competitor for the OUYA: http://kotaku.com/rumor-amazon-is-ma...ole-1075757064
    Although only a rumour this can become quite interesting.
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Blog Entries
    Why don't you guys start a Raspberry Pi thread in the Console Development section? I'm sure others will be interested in it too.

Well between nVidia's Shield and the Game Stick, I don't think any of them will have that much of the same impact that the OUYA is and will continue to have. I have an issue with the design of the Game Stick myself (having backed and tested one of these before, with strongly unsatisfactory performance) HDMI dongles are a bad idea!

Other than that, to me the rest just seem like big companies following suit with the huge impact of a crowd funding community raising $8 mil just on the OUYA concept alone. Even Nintendo and Sony have been changing their ways in part due to this, seeing how much response there is from indie games and how it can be profitable to support indie games.

Perhaps these are legit products that are coming out, but I think the OUYA will stand out as something very different. They got the money and the motivated people behind it. Plus it's a nice product overall with only a few shortcomings. I having two of them myself and I've used them quite extensively so I think I know all their major issues. Once they weed out the initial bugs and build it up a bit, I think it will be a very lukrative market for indies to sell their games to those that would enjoy playing them.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Hm, if you read the comments on http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...d-of-2013.aspx I got the impression that OUYA already failed ...
    I am still waiting for a new SEGA console, but that will never happen.
    Last edited by Cybermonkey; 10-08-2013 at 08:08 AM.
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast