Quote Originally Posted by WILL
Quote Originally Posted by Frodlou
So... the big question now... which has a debugger comparable to Delphi's?
Lazarus, Lazarus, Lazarus! I used it just as I always have when I programed with Delphi. AND I;'ve been away for almost a month+ so... I can only imagine how much it's improved since I last updated it.
(fpc 2.1.1 has an internal linker. Lazarus rebuilding itself takes 17 seconds here, with smartlinking, and experimental vtable smartlinking)

Seriously, Lazarus/FPC is getting closer and closer to Delphi. However that makes direct comparisons even less useful, since the equation extremely depends on what you want to do (and how much you want to spend, Delphi not being exactly cheap)

The debugger is still an issue though. Even when the current situation stabilises, I think D6/D7 still will be more stable debugging. (D2005 (fully patched), wasn't very stable here, and sometimes I regret spending the money, specially since Borland now denies me the downgrade rights their own sales person guaranteed)

In general, if you have the licenses, and are only interested in win32, Delphi will remain the best choice for a long time. OTOH Delphi shifts more and more too .NET, maybe FPC is even more viable for win32 longterm.

Specially now that the first win64 hello worlds are running......