Quote Originally Posted by cragwolf
2. Lazarus is a Delphi clone. So it is more than just a simple IDE, it is also a RAD application. It has all the extra baggage associated with that: the visual form designer, the visual component palette, the object inspector. This makes the program more bloated with features and therefore more bug-ridden than a simple IDE. It just so happens that all I really want is a simple IDE, and I don't need all those RAD features.
I run Lazarus after being a long time Delphi[size=9px](and before that Turbo Pascal)[/size] user. I have found that you can configure it to work as an IDE-only AND a RAD App enviroment, just like you can with Delphi. Now, if Delphi doesn't float your boat either, this doesn't weight in much as a factor for you. Just know that you can strip all the Object Library and visual compenent stuff from your program just as you can with Delphi.

I'm currently using Lazarus to create my latest game project [size=9px](which doesn't make use of any LCL or component libraries of any kind, just my own libraries and good ole JEDI-SDL)[/size] and I am finding it to work well for what I need it to do. Plus the Free Pascal compiler capabilities give me options that make me salvate at the mouth for hours. :drool:

Now it does give me a 989kb exe file, but I'm not using any size reducing options and have not used any external useless code stripping or compressing apps on it. That seems to be my biggest beef, other than that I like it just as much as I did Delphi.

Besides Lazarus [size=9px](and of course the outdated Dev-Pascal)[/size], what other FPC capable IDEs and enviroments do you guys use or favor?I should do up a master list one day.