Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I found the perfect IDE for Freepascal.

I found the perfect IDE for Freepascal.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodlou
    So... the big question now... which has a debugger comparable to Delphi's?
    Lazarus, Lazarus, Lazarus! I used it just as I always have when I programed with Delphi. AND I;'ve been away for almost a month+ so... I can only imagine how much it's improved since I last updated it.
    (fpc 2.1.1 has an internal linker. Lazarus rebuilding itself takes 17 seconds here, with smartlinking, and experimental vtable smartlinking)

Seriously, Lazarus/FPC is getting closer and closer to Delphi. However that makes direct comparisons even less useful, since the equation extremely depends on what you want to do (and how much you want to spend, Delphi not being exactly cheap)

The debugger is still an issue though. Even when the current situation stabilises, I think D6/D7 still will be more stable debugging. (D2005 (fully patched), wasn't very stable here, and sometimes I regret spending the money, specially since Borland now denies me the downgrade rights their own sales person guaranteed)

In general, if you have the licenses, and are only interested in win32, Delphi will remain the best choice for a long time. OTOH Delphi shifts more and more too .NET, maybe FPC is even more viable for win32 longterm.

Specially now that the first win64 hello worlds are running......

Blog Entries

I'm dying to try the new updates. I'll have to check the Lazarus website sometime tonight.

Well a lot of Delphi factors could change now that it's being disassociated from Borland. The price is definately one factor. Another is all the 'wonderful' deals that Borland made with Microsoft. All agreements, unless more are made between the new company, will be null and void after the sell-off from Borland. I think whoever takes Delphi from Borland will make it a higher priority than it was up until now and in most cases it won't even be the same IDE suite that it once was or currently is.

Heck we might see a little power struggle between Lazarus and Delphi in the near future. The IDE people did go a bit silent once the porting Delphi to Mac and continuing Kylix topics came up. They even spend a small stint about the Mac possibility. Maybe a few secret ambitions were inspired during that podcast, no? :twisted:

Either way dispite the lack of alternatives to Lazarus, it's nice to see that the big one is coming along quite nicely. And of course it is... why else would I have moved all my projects I still hold an interest in over to it.

While I was at sea I ported two older games over and updated them to be either shown[size=9px](featured actually in my upcoming articles series on how to create games of it's genre)[/size] or released as a way for me to practice my AI ideas. Good fun!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Frodlou

Marcov, i actually like d2005 better than 7. And i'm only using the code window, it's just more efficient i find. Never use refactoring and such things, i just like the pretty ide, and considering the number of hours a day i spend looking at it, it's an important thing for me.

Debugger is also a bit better. When i tried lazarus last year, i found i had trouble debugging message handling and threads when there were any syncing mechanisms in place, like mutexes or events. Never figured out why, but i had such problems with d2005 too, just way less frequently.

Now you got to try this if you're still having problems with your copy of delphi 2005. For some reason, i've had no stability issues at all since i did this. Got lucky i guess.

Step 1: Uninstall delphi 2005
    Step 2: Install trial version of delphi 2005 from borland's web site

It will remember your settings from the initial install and not bother you with trial version stuff and registration. And work much much much better than the bought version patched.

Just try it, it works for me.

And fpc being as good as delphi is what i think too, but only on the compiler end. It's obviously better for multi-platform support, which is why i intend to migrate to it eventually, but in the mean time, i need a really solid win32 tool with the best debugger i can afford (money and time wise), so it will be delphi for me until i'm done with the heavy debugging tasks.

Blog Entries

Debugger is also a bit better. When i tried lazarus last year, i found i had trouble debugging message handling and threads when there were any syncing mechanisms in place, like mutexes or events. Never figured out why, but i had such problems with d2005 too, just way less frequently.
    You can't compaire Lazarus last year to what it is like now. It's gone through so much development and improvements it's not funny. I noticed the HUGE improvement about a couple of months ago. The debugger works rather well, I find. I can use it just as well as I did Delphi's (Delphi 7, I've only tinkered with 2005 and not even tried 2006). Acts almost exactly like Delphi's debugger in most respects.

What exactly do you look for in a debugger anyhow? I mostly use the stop-watches and of course the messages myself. Not sure if I use much else than that. Besides the obviously awesome Source Editor's roll-over hints.

Only downfall I noticed for stopping the program to checkout values with the mouse, is when you want to look for an array value or an object's property it won't show up. I'm sure with time these will become available though. In the meantime I have work-arounds.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Frodlou

Ok, spent a few days testing out the newer lazarus and fpc, and i got to say, i'm impressed. It has indeed come a long way. I'm putting off buying d2k6 for a bit just in case, but in the end, there's a strong chance i'll still buy it, the trial impressed me greatly. However, as expected (, it's got a bunch of bugs so...

One thing i really need that i didnt see thought, isnt there a way to see the cpu window?

Ok, spent a few days testing out the newer lazarus and fpc, and i got to say, i'm impressed. It has indeed come a long way. I'm putting off buying d2k6 for a bit just in case, but in the end, there's a strong chance i'll still buy it, the trial impressed me greatly. However, as expected (, it's got a bunch of bugs so...

One thing i really need that i didnt see thought, isnt there a way to see the cpu window?
    If there is a GDB window somewhere in laz, try giving a "info registers" there.

Quote Originally Posted by Almindor
    I wonder why people don't use Lazarus.

It has absolutly everything from code completion to refactoring the power of eclipse and it eats less than 20megs of RAM.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just curious as to what drives people elsewhere.
    For me, it is a simple thing: The code editor. It has some very nonstandard behaviour, which is shares with the Turbo Pascal clone that comes with FPC. It was some time since I tried it, but as I remember it, clicking to the right of a line did not bring me to the end on that line, but to the place that I click, which I don't want. I think the arrow keys also did not work as expected.

This sounds trivial, but since I move a lot between different IDE's, an IDE that works strangely in something like that simply never gets comfortable. Mouse, arrow keys and ZXCV command keys simpy must follow the "Mac standard" (that is, like most Windows and Linux programs).

If you tell me that this is a setting that I can change, I would be happy to try again. If there is one thing I really need, it is a good cross-platform IDE for a good cross-platform Pascal.

Ah now I understand. However I think this IS configurable (if not in IDE then atleast in Synedit) so perhaps a wish-rep is in order.

I'm used to exactly the borland style. I can't stand tabs, non-free lines (eg you're jumping to end of line, not the space if you press up) etc.

But as I said I think it shouldn't be difficult for lazarus to get this "mac" optionized.
    Feel the power of Open Source.
    <br />Feel the power of Free Pascal.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123