Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: PGD's Annual Game Programming Competition...

Blog Entries

PGD's Annual Game Programming Competition...

What do you guys feel about team-based(but individuals can compete alone too) entrants?

And what do you feel about a 4 month competition? Pending on what the guidlines and goals of the competiton are...
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    What do you guys feel about team-based(but individuals can compete alone too) entrants?
    Now that I think to participate, Soulhab (another developer) left our team... looks like I'll be on my own (with a lot of music from our musicians :lol...

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    And what do you feel about a 4 month competition? Pending on what the guidlines and goals of the competiton are...
    This is rather long time (you can make a commercial app in this interval). I think it's ok as long as you don't have to provide source code
    Otherwise something like a month is more like it...

I think 4 months may be a bit too long and 1 month way too short. Somewhere in between, like 3 months again sounds perfect.

(I think you should try to encourage more open source for this contest, not strictly but open source would be nicer)

This is rather long time (you can make a commercial app in this interval). I think it's ok as long as you don't have to provide source code Smile
    Otherwise something like a month is more like it...
    I don't think it is. Look at the 4e4 compo. Participants had 5 months to work on a entry. Still, out of 43 entries, I think only half of those really were finished.

Although 4 months is a long time. The endresults will be better.

I think 4 months are too much. Yes, you could have better quality, but you'll have MANY unfinished games. The more complex a game is, the more possibility you have that it won't be finished..
    Maybe 2 month would be ok.. One can think of a simple game and implement it in that time
    If you save your data in a proprietary format, the owner of the format owns your data.
    <br /><A href="http://msx80.blogspot.com">http://msx80.blogspot.com</A>

how about making a game that runs in kernel ring0 space as a driver? :O :idea:
    This is my game project - Top Down City:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...y-Topic-Reboot

My OpenAL audio wrapper with Intelligent Source Manager to use unlimited:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...source+manager

I'm repeating myself, but I think in terms of "project completeness" 4 months is as same as 1 month and is the same as 1 week. If you don't choose your project correctly, no matter how much time is given to you, you may not complete it. Perhaps even the more time is given, the worse it gets - people will tend to choose much bigger projects and less projects will be complete.

However, if we have too much time to compete (say 4 months) and the project has to be open-source, I will seriously reconsider participating myself, because in this time I can make another game instead, which could be of "any kind" (not limited by the rules) and which can be commercial (in overall this gives much bigger reward, no matter what prizes you give here). Besides, the bigger is the time, the more disparity among participats there is - some people have full-time job and will have weekends for doing it, while others will have plenty of time.

P.S. In the title "PGD\'s Annual Gama..." you may want to remove "\"

I think 4 months is too long. Personally I haven't so much time.
    2 month or less is a good term I think...

I hope everyone from last year is getting ready for this year's competition. The prizes should be announced in a few days.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345