Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: PGD's Annual Game Programming Competition...

PGD's Annual Game Programming Competition...

Hmm, a Boomerang throwing, Pizza eating Kangaroo, I'd pay to see that .

I think teams would just pick one home country, and go with that.

Stereotypes should be alowed, as long at they aren't offensive, like whatever said country does with siad national animal :? (In which case your just offending yourself, it's your country your portraying ).

It would be more fun with stereotypes, people would enjoy it more, and understand the game a little better .

The Your-Country theme will also be a nice learning experience, I havn't even heard of some of the countries that some members of PGD are from :lol: .

:idea:
    What about a "mouse controlled" game compo? Or a graphical adventure one? Or maybe a game puzzle?
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

I think that we would need a "theme" like we had last time. The word dogfight can be interpreted in many different ways.

My ideas for "themes":
    History
    Transport
    Or a multiple choice theme like the 4E3 compo(the game must contain some elements out of a list)

Bah.. i'm not the great idea-man here you see

Come on PGD staff.. just find a theme and let us get started!
    Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

Why a theme?
    It would only cause less submissions.

I would say no theme, just a general yearly competition.
    One can make catagories:

- 2D
    - 3D
    - Platform
    - RPG
    - Simulation.

and a grand prize for the best programmed game (in size and code).

in that way any competition will be appealing to any participants.
    (I am also referring to the imho very annoying 'theme'of the Gamedev.net competition. Why has there always have to be theme. Themes tend to be boring and childish.
    Just make your game and put it in my metioned cats.

b.t.w. I am also thinking of making my own competition, 2 times a year, only Object Pascal. The rest is free.
    When I am serious I will seek Sponsors and make a site. (also Pascal Tutorials)
    Marmin^.Style

I think a game dev compo really needs a theme, it makes it a whole lot more fun.

Otherwise, without a theme, it's just another project. Why wait for Jan/Feb when I could start right now and have tons of time, no restrictions, no real goal .

It's more intersting seeing all the varied ideas people can achieve with the same theme.

I'm still for the 'Your-Country' theme, sounds like fun

How about a superhero theme, but we?¢_Td probably have a ton of delphiman games then

By the way, there is One Week/One Button II contest which is about to begin.

As for this incoming context, I think that you should use a theme - that's fair. However, in my opinion country theme is actually *limited*. You can't do a space shooter nor anything futuristic there (otherwise it's not a country theme - you don't know the future of your country ). Personally, I wouldn't enter such compo, because I dislike historical games (That's why I disliked Age of Empires kind of games ever since I saw them). This is very personal though, so you may just ignore this... :roll:

Finally, I don't think a theme should be discussed here, rather just simply announced, to ensure that everybody starts in time.

What I think you *should* do in this contest is to evaluate completeness as #1 factor. The last time people aimed at really complex projects and most enries were unfinished. I think one important point of the contest is to define your game project. For instance, if a game is multiplayer, in 3D but all you can do is to move your character, then it's a test app, not a game and should be qualified as such. This will really make people think how to finish their game in a month, and not just do anything that "sounds cool".

IMHO it's not just a "coding" contest, it's game development contest and the game development process includes the fact that the game should better be finished to the deadline.

Lifepower, I think it's good to discuss things and exchange ideas, as something extraordinary may come out of it.

At the end of the day, we will decide what the theme will be and post it in the New Year. It may be a theme that has been mentioned here, but there is probably a higher chance that it will not be a theme mentioned here as I would want it to be more of a surprise.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

I do like the abstract theme, I think it allows more creative ideas and, for programmers, it's easier to make abstract art than real art, or make it programatically.
    sorry for my English.....

quote: Can't say I'm too keen on the restricted theme either. With the previous competition in mind and the number of participants, I'd say we need a theme that is as open as possible.

I agree here. What about a theme, and a section without a theme?
    That's logical and simple.
    The reason is, my games are taking months to develop, so if I am going to participate, then I am not going to modify my game to fit a certain theme. -- however themes are very nice and can boost creativity of course..

Marmin.
    Marmin^.Style

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast