Thread: Palm anyone?

Blog Entries

Palm anyone?

Hey, does anyone here have a Palm? OR have they tried the PP(Palm & Pascal) Compiler yet? It is free to use and runs natively on PalmOS. It may also run ok on somekind of Palm emulator too.

I do not have a Palm nor have I used this compiler, but with the increasingly more efficent hardware designs and minaturization of technology these days, Palms might have a sudden boost in the next little while.

There has been 1 game that I know of that has been written in Pascal for the Palm. And of course you should also note that the native iziBASIC compiler for PalmOS was written and built with PP Compiler.

It's quite the project and if you have a Palm or are thinking of getting one you should check it out.

I post about it regularly, but in case you don't know the URL see www.ppcompiler.org.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Re: Palm anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    Hey, does anyone here have a Palm? OR have they tried the PP(Palm & Pascal) Compiler yet? It is free to use and runs natively on PalmOS. It may also run ok on somekind of Palm emulator too.
    About a year and half ago I and my partner tried PP compiler for Palm when was developing autonomous robot for robotics contest. After playing with it for 2 days, we gave it up since PP was unsuitable for creating any real & complex applications (not to mention that you have to do compilation on the palm itself, which was rather time consuming task). After that we went with some Pascal RAD compiler for Palm (forgot the name completely, "studio" something?), which was much more practical. This was some time ago and I don't have Palm anymore (now own PocketPC), but my experience with PP was rather unsuccessful one.

Palm anyone?

I think it was called Pocket Studio. Well, that name sounds familiar at least.

Palm anyone?

Yes, Pocket Studio it is! Thanks!!
    [size=9px][Why I keep forgetting it?]
    [/size]

Blog Entries

Palm anyone?

Ah, Pocket Studio... I toyed with this one myself, but not having a Plam, I was unsuccssful at doing anything. There was an emulator that I did manage to install, but alas was unable to load any Palm stuff up in it nor anything that I compiled within the Pocket Studio's compiler.

I am still holding out for some kind of handheld Pascal solution though. This is one of the cutting edge platforms of today so it's only proper to keep watching.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

A litte suggestion: With a section with ONE thread, with a total lifetime of general interest of TWO days, should this really be a separate section? How about moving that single thread some general section and remove the section? Palm isn't getting hotter these days.

I know this is an old thread, but I found an update to this today...

https://market.android.com/details?id=pp.compiler

There is now an open-source version of the PP Pascal ARM compiler that works natively on ARM Android devices

cheers,
    Paul