Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: 3rd PGD Challenge: At Your Command!

Sounds interesting, and I even have an idea that fits the theme rather well. It's a pretty abstract kind of a "game". Though one month is a bit on the short side, especially since I don't actually have much time due to work assignements and such. But maybe I'll get something playable done

Blog Entries
    I completely forgot to make a poster so... Here it is!

Right-Click to Save it!

I'm in! I will attempt to make something using Smart Mobile Studio

Shane

Ah, creativity is knocking at my dorr (something I've been missing lately with my main project). Just wrote the 1000th word of my design document and I'm thinking about extensive blogging on my homepage. Though I'm not sure wether I'll make it in time, but I already love the idea so much that I'll at least have to try

Anyone else planning to blog about progess? If so, maybe we can aggregate the blogs somehwere.

I will probably make a ne whread in 3rd Challenge section defining my idea more into detail and post some progress reports there. But I don't promise anything.

Blog Entries
    Hows everyone's games coming along? Feel free to start a thread about your entry in the new forum created just for this event!

Don't be too bashful about how it looks right now. Everyone's game looks incomplete at the beginning. It's actually really cool to see all the projects how they start and progress over time. And it helps others who are brand new see just how you are doing things.

I must say "not good".
    Main problem is time.
    Another problem is that I'm probably overestimating my abilities. So this creates some fear of me failing again and thus lovers my interest to continue.

But all is not lost!
    I might just go and try to make a different idea. The final decision on this will be made after I manage to implement a modified A* pathfinding algorithm.
    Since for both ideas I require a modified A* pathfinding algorithm where I could take into account athleast two parameters defining "weight" vale for traveling from one node to the other (relative distance, path safety).

So since I'm reimplementing A* algorithm I was thinking of also adding heuristic support to it. While this is actually not needed for my first idea it would come verry handy for my second one.

My second idea is to make a City traffic simulator where "protagonists" would be cars driving around the city and player would have the ability to manage traffic by:
    - building roads (extending roads with existing lanes)
    - extending crossings with "turn lanes"
    - equiping the crossings with "traffic lights" and setting the way how these "traffic lights" work (defining sequence)
    - defining traffic direction by setting traffic direction for each lane
    - defining speed limits for each lane
    - reserving lanes for only certaing groups of vehicles
    - maybe even adding pedestrian lanes (would double the needed time and work)
    Cars would chose their route based on several parameters (hence multiparameter implementation of A*) like road section lenght, average speed for that section during previous day, type of road, etc.
    Also for this idea I would use heuristic pathfinding where:
    - on first heuristic level I would search posible paths between different road crossings
    - on second heuristic level I would be doing pathfinding inside each road section (road between two road crossings) so cars would be able to change lanes and thus overtake stoped cars for instance (cars can break).
    I would naturally have to implement some basic traffic rules defining which car can go through crossing first.
    I would like to limit the field of view for cars to simulate one driver missing up another car. Combining this with simulating athleast basic vehicle physics (acceleration and deceleration) so it would be posible for two cars to actually crash one into another.

I belive this idea might offer more enjoyment to potential players as my first idea would be only suitable for "hardcore" simulation lovers.

Considering that I've got tons of stuff to do at work (making it hard to motivate myself to do some coding after work), and that my spare time is restricted in general I must say that I'm coming along pretty nice.

Main reason for that is that I keep it (very) simple in terms of coding. Actually it's all pretty basic OpenGL stuff, and since most of the stuff I'm using (textures, shaders, sound, etc.) is implemented using my own manager classes that have proven themselves in my other projects, I can mostly concentrate on the art and design part of the game. And that's a lot of fun, so much that (including work) I spend up to 16 hours a day in front of Delphi

Combine this with the fact that I'm so anxious to get this out into the public due to the interesting (abstract) theme and you get pretty good progress for just these few days. And it also helps a lot that creativity is flowing. I just had a great idea for the setting of my title, quickly drew a mockup at work, made it into a photoshop draft and just put it into the game (took me about 3 hours). More on this in the project's thread soon!

So well, I get along pretty well, though I can't tell if that'll count for the remaining parts of the game

Unfortunately I haven't so much time as I thought . Anyway I'll try something in the late 15 days or so.
    No signature provided yet.

Blog Entries
    Just a heads up to anyone who may want to try the FTP early to make sure they can get on it. The FTP is now up!

Small change to the FTP information:

Username: pgdchallenge03
    Password: ObjectPascal#1
    Server Address: ftp.pascalgamedevelopment.com
    Port: 21

The rules above have been changed to reflect this slight alteration.

If you are having trouble accessing the FTP at any time, please let me know and I can help you out.

REMINDER: All entries to the 3rd PGD Challenge are due on the 15th of September

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast