Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
Is there perhaps another form of feedback you can get from your distant followers that show what kind of progress they do or do not do? I mean if the poor messenger gets shot how can you tell?
That is the point. You have to maintain good enough security inside your kingdom so messengers can travel quite safetly.
And if you see that there was no messenger from one of your places for quite some time you have to send someone to investigate why is that.
But messangers are not the only units who needs security inside your kingdom.
For instance for your castle to get the food to feed your staff that food needs to be transported from neigboring farms, vilages, towns. Same goes to other wares.
Also pepole inside your kingdom won't be hapy if bandids would roam the streets robbing traveling merchants, pilaging vilages, etc.

BTW Your messangers won't be the only units which could bring you the status update. You could also learn of various events around your kingdom from from traveling merchants. But this information is not guaranteed to be thruth as they would only be rumors.
I also have a nice idea for rumor system where stories can get exagerated but I probably won't be able to implement it as it would take quite a lot of coding.

Like I sad the game will show off all the dificulties that kingdom/empires faced when there still was no radio cominucation available.
So don't expect playing it will be "walk in the park".