Idea is slowly coming up together, to have RTS with no direct control to individual units. It might remind mostly Settlers 3, but visually there might be similarities to Starcraft 2. Obviously i can't do as good animations and stuff, but i should be able to vertex-animate with nxPascal. It will be 3D, although (maybe?) not free to rotate camera because of terrain. It would just look bad to see the border in the distance... unless i'd use fog. I'm not going to use shaders so that even those with little older computers can try it. Even without shaders i can use custom per-vertex coloring if needed. Models and animations i'm going to have to create with my old Delphi version of Edit3D that comes with nxPascal.

There are few gaps in the idea still to think off, like what are the resources? One interesting idea i have, is to let player build any size drill anywhere he wants. Bigger the drill, the more resources it outputs, but the longer it takes to build and consume more some kind of energy resource to operate. Most importantly this kind of flexibility makes a difference when playing against AI, so that it's not a plain equal mirror match. Also number of bases, their locations, balance of defenders and attackers, static defence, type of units all makes a difference. I would think this is also influenced a little by Total Annihilation.

Game template is now copied for codebase, and repeatable terrain tile drawn with Gimp.

And don't be afraid to make another RTS after reading this, i'm 100% sure your idea is different than mine, likely in many ways And never hurts seeing how others do it.