Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Working title : Trugbild

WOW!
    Great work Sascha

Alpha release

Hey there guys, could you please test the first alpha of the game for me?

You can grab it here : http://www.saschawillems.de/download..._alphatest.zip (~5 MBytes)

The gameplay is in there, and the game itself is fully functional. The content (chapters, answers) are mostly placeholders though, so next on my list is to create content and dialogue for the final releease. The ending screen is also not completly done, something I'm currently working on.

I just wanted to have others test the game before releasing it, so I can see if it works on different hardware configurations.

Note that the game needs at least OpenGL 2.0 compatible hardware (for the shaders), and you should play it on a widescreen display (it may look distorted on other aspect ratios). Currently it's windows only.

As for the progress, I haven't gotten much done this week. I integrated my virtual file system, did some bugfixing, changed the game's data XML structure (making it easier for me to create content), but due to a business trip to the other side of germany and lot's of other work assignments, my time to work on Trugbild was pretty limited.

But I hope to get the missing things done today and tomorrow, so I can concentrate on creating content throughout the next week, before the final date approaches

I gave it a try.
    It works fine on Windows 7 64 bit with AMD Mobility Radeon HD 3650 with Level 3 Shader support.
    Few noticable glitches:
    - sometimes when clicking on side choices you can see sharp edges of "white fading color". I gues this is due to the maximum size of the shader is too smal.
    - you should sah that "he is in final monets" and not "in final moment".
    - on last naration just before the end screen you can still see renmants of text from previous naration screen which was shown before the choice screen.

While I haven't tested all the posibilities (went trhough 3 times) I always come to good ending. So it might be a bug or I just chose such paths.

Other than that I must say that it is quite uniqe idea. I haven't played anything like this so far.

Works fine on my laptop though I noticed some tearing once in a while. Is VSync an option?
    Windows 8 Pro 64bit, nVidia Geforce GTX 660M.

I'm liking though I also get the good ending all the time. I guess you haven't added other endings so far?
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

Thanks for your feedback. I'm happy that the game is working in your system. Together with my development PC and my Lenovo Yoga this makes four different configurations that run it fun

As for the ending :
    To get the "bad" ending you have to die, which means not selecting an answer in time. If you wait long enough, the player starts to die, and if you wait too long the game ends premature. That's when you get the "bad" ending.

But yes, the ending screen and the mechanic on what ending is selected is not finishsed yet. The game already records the bias of the answers you select (positive or negative), and I plan on changing the ending depending on your bias, and on wether you answer all questions.

I'm glad you like the "game", and thanks again for testing!

Coding is done!

I'm pretty much spot-on with my initially planned timeframe, and the next week will be used to create content. The current chapter's and decisions are mostly development placeholders, so during the coming week I'm going to write dialogue and decisions, so a playthrough will become more interesting than in the testing release.

And though I haven't had much tome to code during the last week, I sat down the whole weekend to push the game.

The ending screen now displays different (two different visuals), depending on the positive or negative bias you gathered while selecting answers. Though it's not what I had in mind initially, so I may expand on the idea of different endings (like you're used from games like Silent Hill) after the contest is done.

And I also used this afternoon to slip in a new visual styles : ladders. So in addition to doors, corridors and holes, decisions can now also be represented with ladders :

(click to enlarge)

I wrote roughly 4,500 LOC for this game (excluding all of the stuff from my basecode that I reused for this game), the development directory is at ~ 250 MBytes and the final release should come in at 30 MBytes.

And as a bonus, here are two debugging screenshots :

They showcase how the game composes it's visuals, using up to 6 different frame buffer objects. From left to right : Visual scene (color), color picking, effects overlay, text overlay, reality scene, death scene

So now on to writing some additional content

doesn't work here
    win7 32bit , mobility radeon x1300 (which is opengl2 compatible)
    error.jpg

Too bad. Could you post the logfile from %appdata%\trugbild? An AV at address zero usually means that the render context could not be created, so maybe it's a driver problem.

here is
    10/09/2013 10:23:26 : Starting virtual file system
    10/09/2013 10:23:26 : Initializing Renderer
    10/09/2013 10:23:29 : Rendercontext created
    10/09/2013 10:23:30 : Creating frame buffer objects
    10/09/2013 10:23:30 : Could not setup renderer!Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 00000000. Lesen von Adresse 00000000 : Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 00000000. Lesen von Adresse 00000000
    10/09/2013 10:23:33 : Renderer created
    10/09/2013 10:23:33 : Could not create all game objects!Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 00000000. Lesen von Adresse 00000000 : Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 00000000. Lesen von Adresse 00000000
    10/09/2013 10:23:34 : All game objects released

on two monitors window is at desktop center. which gives it somewhat schizophrenic twist

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast