Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: problem with DEVICE.PRESENT method in Delhi8

problem with DEVICE.PRESENT method in Delhi8

MSDN GetTickCount: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ttickcount.asp
    On this page: "If you need a higher resolution timer, use a multimedia timer or a high-resolution timer."

About Timers -> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...bouttimers.asp

Basically in Win32/Win64 you have two choices:
    1) use QueryPerformanceCounter etc.
    2) use timeGetTime, but at application start call timeBeginPeriod(1); and in finalization timeEndPeriod(1); to set precision to 1ms under WindowsNT based OS'es
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

problem with DEVICE.PRESENT method in Delhi8

Thanks for your replies
    Appreciate the time spent

2) With "Present" commented out no work will be acually done to render anything (I mean videocard driver will not even start rendering current frame until you call Present).
    I could be wrong, but I thought Device.Present just flips the backbuffer on a primary surface, does it not? And method Device.Clear in this case fills the backbuffer with blue color. So if Device.Present is commented out, the app will just fill the backbuffer every frame. The rendering (if you can call it that) will occur, only it will not be visible.

When I comment out Device.Clear, then nothing gets rendered at all and FPS skyrockets.

Thanks for your tips with timers. Most helpful.

I'm starting to think, it is not the program. I ran the first tutorial from the DirectX SDK October 2005 and had the same issue. Could it be something else? For instance, I have .NET framework version 1.1 installed. Do I need version 2 maybe? Or could it be my overclocked Graphics adapter? Or may be it is a bug in Delphi compiler?

So I guess my next question is has anyone actually had the same problem (see the topic), when running Direct3D application developed with Delphi 8 and DirectX for managed code SDK October 2005?

Thanks,
    Alex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12