Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PGD Site Content & Focus

PGD Site Content & Focus

Quote Originally Posted by K4Z
    Wouldn't increasing the number of members through Artists, Musicians, etc, help increase discussions?
    ...also through Lawyers, Scientists, Military and Housewives.

I have hung out in seperate Pascal and seperate Art forums before, trying to coordinate a team for a project, and it is virtually impossible to work. Not everyone checks emails or message boards everyday (or even once a week). And it oftens takes multiple posting on multiple boards to get a single reply. And having a project spead out over different forums also increases redundant replys from each community, as they are only getting a part of the project discussion in there forum.
    Ofcourse, there is a small handfull of people that get lucky, and this works for them.

All I can say is that after finding PGD, I no longer have to search around so many different forums.

PGD Site Content & Focus

Okay Dokay. I take it that you have no more rebutle :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PGD Site Content & Focus

[offtopic="Read at your own risk"]

Okay Dokay. I take it that you have no more rebutle :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    Perhaps programming is not your favorite part, but it's the only way to explain it...
    Code:
    const
     CrazyPostLimit = 7;
     AcceptableLevel= High(Cardinal);
    begin
     repeat
      if &#40;PostCount&#40;'Lifepower'&#41; < CrazyPostLimit&#41;or&#40;Trunc&#40;Amount&#40;BS&#41;&#41; < AcceptableLevel&#41; then
      begin
       Quote&#40;'K4Z'&#41;;
       Reply&#40;Argument&#41;;
      end else
      begin
       if &#40;Random&#40;2&#41; = 0&#41; then 
        begin
         Quote&#40;Posts&#91;Random&#40;Length&#40;Posts&#41; + 1&#41;&#93;&#41;;
         Reply&#40;Nonsense&#41;;
        end else Break;
       end;
     until &#40;Closed&#40;Thread&#41;&#41;;
    end;
    [/offtopic]

PGD Site Content & Focus

Bwahahahaha! :lol: Good golly, that's a funny one.

[ontopic]

Well, I doubt we'll all agree since we seem loath to give ground for any reason under the sun ... but it doesn't matter. So long as we stay a good community.

Do whatcha want Will, but I'd suggest you code a quicksave/quickload function first.

PGD Site Content & Focus

Someone finish this sentance:

Combining Development with Programming will kill PGD because...

:think:

PGD Site Content & Focus

Someone finish this sentance:

Combining Develpoment with Programming will kill PGD because...

:think:
    Umm, are we still assuming knowledge of proper document writing?

PGD Site Content & Focus

...because it wasn't the arguement. Since you bring it back up.

Artwork and music don't have much to do with the development process unless they're needed. The biggest part of development is planning and execution.

Because you're forgetting one little thing... development isn't design. Adding artwork or music doesn't develop some thing, but it relates to design of that particular object. Thus art and music have little to do with the development of the game, outside the base API coding you ought to be past anyway, but are keys in design.

Get it?

EDIT: *snicker*

PGD Site Content & Focus

*Sigh*, I used 'Development' instead of writing a paragraph.

Uh Hum, How exactly will having more Artists and Musicians, and every other person that may be involved in the complete development and creation of a game all easily accessible in the one community, destroy PGD?

The only real argument you present is that there is not much disscusion on this site, so you suppose ignoring the other aspects of a game within this site, which in turn would lower traffic.

Graphics and sound are part of "Game-Development". Your developing a game, not developing code. And if your are just developing code, then keep doing that, and let the rest develop complete games.

:roll:
    ---
    Umm, are we still assuming knowledge of proper document writing
    Not at all, there's no real exact way to write a proper doccument, just like writing code, everyone has there own method and style that they like.

PGD Site Content & Focus

PGD lacks discussion. On that we all agree.

Question: will that change if we add music, art or other non pascal related sections? I doubt art- or music diehards will come here unless they are involved in a project. They might if they are looking for a job or if they want to take part in a project. In any case, if someone has questions about music or art, related to pascal gamedevelopment, we have a place to add them. And most likely there is someone with an answer too.

Question: will that change if we dont add music, art or other non pascal related sections?

The fact that we don't have any discussions lately has nothing to do with adding music or art sections. It has everything to do with the lack of projects and active members. Technomage has his Alert Fight project, Delfi has Top Down City, and K4Z is doing graphics for WILL, but thats about it. We get an occasional question from a newcomer, but they die off after one or two replies.

If we can change that, if we again have a few dozen new posts a day, then, a non programming related, music or art section, doesn't really matter that much (to me anyway).

So instead of discussing about whether or not PGD should have a music/art section, lets discuss how we can make PGD alive again.

Blog Entries

PGD Site Content & Focus

Well this has been a fun little adventure hasn't it? :roll:

First off, thank you Athena, I think you so far have put it best.

So let me get this straight? Those that don't like the new format[size=9px](hmm... I recall this being the direction that I made quite clear when the merger of Delphi Gamer and DGDev was still in the works, or perhaps you mean the changes to the forums of late and newly added content that has been there for months now... perhaps, I'm misunderstanding)[/size], your complainning about too much information? Geez, I remember the days when all you had to make games in Pascal as Delphi 3 and a Japanese made DelphiX and anything outside of that was crazy talk.

Ok, so what makes you go down BELOW the 'Programming' category of the forums? If you don't care, then why complain? Or is it that you just want more programming related material, but instead decided to complain about something else to vent for no reason?

There is a difference between adding junk and content that can have a direct or indirect valid usage in a game related team production or simple indie project[size=9px](weither it's yours or not)[/size]. If you cannot find a use for anything that has been posted in the PGD Library or the articles that have been written, then there is something wrong with you, or you don't have a very creative mind.

You're not supposed to read everything! You're not suposed to like or need everything. This site is not only you, but everyone that is involved in Pascal programming and Game Development. You design a game you develop it.

You're saying that graphics design has no effect on programming? How many polygons will the models in your game have? Who designs those? Awe, my artist's models look crappy, he could have done it like this instead and still would run nice because of a nice low poly count. I'm sure you all get the point, dispite your urge to pick it apart becasuse you just want to complain, becasue you're not winning an argument? [size=9px](A personal pet peive of mine, people who complain to win with no constructive outcome.)[/size]

I've also heard the argument that tracking, music and sound doesn't have any bearing on the development of a game. Well, what is a good sample rate to have your sound effect sample at? What is the best way to construct your FastTracker MOD to contain all your game music loops? How do you want to set these up? If you are using MP3 or OGG what sort of issues will you have with looping or crossfading, what are the best compression methods. Nevermind just having good sound and all the parts of music you need for a good game. Theory, technical knowlage, etc...

Now those are just some examples, but think outside the box, and if you don't want to, here! And don't go to the other categories. If you want more of something ASK! I have had no problems adding content that our visitors want. Though don't start looking for 'How To Use MS Word' or 'How To Make A Webpage' it won't be here.

Lets be practical and not a bunch of smartasses trying to win a highschool bully fight. Be constructive and if you find a problem, give me a posative solution that will work well, otherwise it's just pissing in the wind and a useless waste of effort.

Lastly, as for any changes; I've heard concern about this, so I'll be quite clear for everyone. Any changes on this site will not see a lacking of added programming content. You guys don't get the benefit of seeing me pushing the site's writters to keep running through more programming content. On vasious topics. AI for instance is something I'd like us to find more about. But then not all of you are going to need half of that are you? Some 'back to basics' type of articles I've been trying to encourage too. But by no means are we cutting back anything. Just adding a nice sized left wing for other ORGANIZED content that relates to game planning, design and development [size=9px](argue this till you're blue in the face, same shit, different pile. Split all the hairs you like, it relates.)[/size]

Besides that, I find it very disconcerting that you guys would resort to poo-poo-ing and cheap-shots to try to win with your points. This isn't GameDev.net, we're better than that.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast