Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Development Community

New Development Community

I'm starting up a new developer community, and I thought I'd post a link to it here. I'm working on a small series of articles for basic game development to put up there, and other than the first installment there's no content, and only one post in the forums. The link is http://bluestardev.com/devcom. There's one post in one of the music forums, and that's it. I'd love any help anyone can give--I just started it up this weekend, so it's still pretty much a blank slate.

I'm wanting to try and make it more than just a developer community--that's about the only thing I can really offer at this time myself though--so if you aren't wanting to do anything with code, go ahead and check it out anyways and see if you have anything you'd like to post.

I really hope I'm not stepping on any toes by posting this; I'm mainly looking for feedback, hopefully some minor contributions--I really doubt this will be stealing anything away from this forum in the slightest. Even if someone could just make a few suggestions or comments about the site, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Hi!

Looks very good.

The problem is you get one like this each week right now, on Gamedev.net in the forums there a dozen pages like yours, sorry.

Firle

Thanks!

I kinda figured this wouldn't exactly be something new around here I really couldn't think of anywhere else I could try and get it noticed though--everything I've seen with search engines is a waste of time unless you fork over some decent money. I appreciate the post though.

Blog Entries

Don't even waste your money on that. It won't do you any good anyways. Google doesn't really work that way either.

I can appreciate you wanting to start up your own site, however consider your audience and the amount of interested people within that 'market'. If there is little interest or that kind of venture is heavily saturated, you'll most likely have a lot of 'dead air' about your site. If that fact doesn't sway you then, rock on! Give'er and have fun with it at least.

Best of luck!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Thanks for the perspective Will. I really don't have a specific target audience. Software development is about all I can contribute to for right now, and I think there's a small handful of other development websites out there

'Dead Air' doesn't bother me too much; I really don't expect this thing to really take off. If I get 100 registered members someday I'll be happy, and if it gets to the point where I actually need to check in once a week to review a submission I'll be ecstatic.

Thanks again for the comments, I really appreciate them.

Hi mcory1,

I saw you have a Review section. Is the review section for Developer games, projects etc?

Firle

Hi Firle,
    The site's still a blank slate. Anything anyone wants to review games--indy or mainstream--music, movies, books, furniture, websites, silverware, anything at all.

I understand. I just thought if we can send something to you (own projects, games etc) and you would review it.

Firle

Blog Entries

mcory, if you really want to work on a website, why not help out here instead? We have a growing community and it would allow all your material to be seen by a lot more people.

Plus we ourselves are looking for tallented writers and motivated individuals with your kind of energy. Do you program using Pascal? Or do you have much knowlage of game development or even things such as story writting, marketing and/or team and project management?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

For both sites (in case mcory1 does not want to join here) I think an Image of the day section would be nice (I think we had that topic here before). And I don't understand why there is no review section, most members write their hobby games (or engines) so it would be very nice to have a review area where selected members test other members projects. Just some thoughts

Firle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast