Thread: Why can't ActionScript be more like PHP and Delphi?

Blog Entries

Why can't ActionScript be more like PHP and Delphi?

Ok I have been looking for ages into trying to find out where on earth I can find a listing of all the available class objects that Flash's ActionScript has.

Now I know that Flash is not a too for programmers, rather it's geared for the artists out there. But damnit, why do I have to pull out my teeth and finger-nails just to find out how to do the smallest things using this darn object model? :?

Anyone know where I can find my 'holy grail' of a reference? Really, it should have nice Help files like Delphi has... or at least online documentation like PHP.net provides...
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Have you looked at Macromedia's LiveDocs on their site? That's about the closest thing to documentation I ever found; always worked for me. If you're using MX 2004, it'd be at http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flash...tml/wwhelp.htm.

HTH

What version are you using?

LOL, I'm the opposite. Why can't PHP and Delphi be more like action script :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:.

What version of of Flash are you using? Flash MX's help (and reference list) is pretty extensive, all the info you really need.

Blog Entries

I can't believe you just went there! :lol:

I am using MX 2004, but either I'm picky and I just don't like the documentation. I'm a programmer, not an artist I guess you could say... :?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Anything web-related is usually a major pain for me, so I try to avoid ActionScript at any cost. :mrgreen:
    I use Flash for icons and 2D art though.

Blog Entries

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/kn...fm?id=tn_15683

This is something that really turned my head around on Flash. I always did like it and wanted to start learning it again. [size=9px](It's been ages since I made anything with it. I can't count the number of versions have passed since I used to play with it regularly)[/size]

But I find that it's very powerful these days, but the documentation sucks and from a programmer's point of view it's practically a gaggle.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

About the only other tip I can add is to check out http://flashkit.com. They've got a lot of samples there; one project I was working on was a dynamic catalog with menus and a scrolling thumbnail set. Between FlashKit and LiveDocs, I only had to guess at a little less than half of what I was doing.

Lol, you'll probably hate me saying this but, I learned a lot about programming with Objects and programming in general back in the days of pre Flash 5. I actually started programming in Flash before making animations .
    It really helped me to get my head around the Java and C syntax. After a while with Actionscript and Java, it was hard to return to Delphi :mrgreen:.

Although Actionscript has gotten a lot more advanced, it's actually even easier to program with, a lot more freedom.

Is there anything in particular that you're having trouble with?

Blog Entries

You know how you can look up all the objects available like with the VCL and the Object Model? --I have this huge book here in Toronto that's called the Delphi 3 Super Bible. It list every single little aspect of the VCL visual and non-visual components, methods, events... everything... Then they improved the help files of Delphi and I stopped needing the book with all my apps. (That and I stopped using Delphi and I use Lazarus now :roll: )

Basically I want to know the entire object model. Everything about the webcam object microphone object... the lmnop object, etc.... I want a full list of all it's available objects shown in one place, not having to guess what I can fully do with Flash and ActionScript. It's a guessing game that way now. :?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

You mean stuff like this; showing all methods and properties?
    http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flash...81.html#222118
    [size=9px](Follow the links)[/size]

Flash's Help has all this stuff for just about every class and object. I guess it is geared more towards programmers - just like Delphi's help, it'll just give you a quick meaning, with no real explaination or example. Will still need to experiment.

[size=9px]Note: If you haven't already, switch to Advanced mode in the actionscript window, much much easier to work with.[/size]