Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New motherboard, CPU and GPU combination - advice needed!!!

New motherboard, CPU and GPU combination - advice needed!!!

The MB bundles I will pick from are probably ones from this page...
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/bundles.html
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Now I would definetly go and buy "Intel Dual Core 2 Duo 6300 - 1024MB - ATX" and GeForce 7900GS. But looks like this will not fit in 400 pounds.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

what about this (from ebuyer.com):

AMD with quite a nice processor

111290 Athlon 64 4200 Dual Core 2.2GHz
    113976 ASUS M2NPV-MX SKT AM2
    091124 Kingston Valueram 2Gb 667MHz DDR2

that comes to £346 including VAT and shipping.

or we could go to intel with an older processor

107617 Intel Pentium D 805 Dual Core 64 bit
    114964 MSI 945GZM3-L
    091124 Kingston Valueram 2Gb 667MHz DDR2

that comes to £302 including vat and shipping but the motherboard also supports core 2 duo for a future upgrade.

both have onboard graphics cards and depending on what you want to do, i would wait to get a graphics card (or get a cheap one like an x1300 at £40) until the dx10 cards are out.

also bare in mind that the core2 duo processors are quite new (well a few months old) and amd havnt released there new processors yet but its been said they are compatible with the AM2 motherboards

I gather the graphics card need to be PCI Express, does it have to be SLI?
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

yes the graphics card will need to be pci express. sli is decided by the motherboard and is only available with nvidia. crossfire is ATI's version but is a bit more complex, you wil lneed whats called a master card and then a normal card

When are the Dx10 cards due out?

not too sure. vista is released january-ish and that has dx10 so i suspect shortly after that?

dx10 aparently wont be released for xp (due to the new graphics driver model in vista)

hmm may just get a cheap graphics card until then. What real advantages are to be gained by sticking 2 Sli Graphics cards in my new MB?

Blog Entries

Hmm... I'm currious as to who is going to create software that is DirectX 10 required and when that will start to happen.

I personally am not going to touch Vista. It looks all nice and all, but personally Linux is the way to go for me. Esp. once I hit school hard.

'Till then I'm sticking with XP.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

SLI means that you can buy 2 cards of the same type (being both PCI-X+SLI) and connect them to work together.

An highend GC costs as it is way too much and using too in parallel is nice and all but I don’t think its worth it.
    I always buy a new computer every 3-4 years, and every time I do I buy one-two-three generation older then the one that was announced (calculating the speed per $$ ratio)

The spec of my computer is AMD 64 3500+ (notice the +), 1GB ram (2 sticks, CL2.5, take advantage of the hyper-transport), GeForce 6600 (PCI-X) 256MB, MB with NForce 4 bus controller.
    It works great with all the games I’ve tried, true that in the options not everything is set to *extreme*
    [size=9px]BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK
    <br />d s-- : a24 GB GCS GTW GE C++ P L+ W++ N+ K- w++++ M- PS+ PE+ Y- t+ 5+++ X+ R*
    <br />tv b+ DI++ D+ e++ h+ G-
    <br />END GEEK CODE BLOCK[/size]
    <br />Create your own GeekCode block at: <a href="">...</a>

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast