Thread: Special Effects for Explosion - which?

Special Effects for Explosion - which?

Hello,

if I have a huge explosion, I want to 'shake' the whole screen.

How can I do that? Right now I tried to set the rotation of the screen, this works but does not look so good, any possibility to really 'shake' the screen in x/y direction?

And what other 'wow' effects could I add? I already have lots of particles but nothing else right now.

Perhaps a big light effect?

Any ideas please?

Thanks,
    Firle

im using 3D mode, so I only shake the camera on that point, but I think the best way to do it in 2D mode is with a for-loop and move all items on the screen...
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

Re: Special Effects for Explosion - which?

Quote Originally Posted by Firlefanz
    if I have a huge explosion, I want to 'shake' the whole screen.

How can I do that? Right now I tried to set the rotation of the screen, this works but does not look so good, any possibility to really 'shake' the screen in x/y direction?
    Make sure you have a "camera" or view position for all objects (see this long thread, where I explained how to do it. Shaking it is just a matter of adding small random displacements with changing amplitude (an increasing and decreasing curve).

And what other 'wow' effects could I add? I already have lots of particles but nothing else right now.
    Few ideas:

1) Most particle effects will do like explosions, smoke, fire, etc. For instance, when an object is damaged, you can show smoke or fire coming out of it.

2) Motion-blur: either local (for a specific object) or global (entire screen) when something is happening.

3) "There are many of them!" effect. For instance, put like 20 objects on the same position (same rotation, etc), so they look like one single object. Then slowly move them away, which will create a feel of thousand objects coming out of one and impress/surprise the player.

Hi Lifepower,

I have to take a look at the shaking stuff, sounds interesting.
    I am also thinking about blending them to white but I am not sure if it gets 'too much'.

2) Motion blur sounds very interesting. Any idea on how to do that on the whole screen? For one sprite you just draw an alphablended copy a few pixels beneath the original, right?

1) I am doing that already, if something is hit, there is a small smoke, and if something is heavily damaged it is making smoke all the time.

3) I am having small pices and when the ship or the asteroid is exploding, lots of those pieces are 'thrown' out, I have different pieces for asteroids, geodes, silver ships, brown ships etc.

Thanks,
    Firle

2) Motion blur sounds very interesting. Any idea on how to do that on the whole screen? For one sprite you just draw an alphablended copy a few pixels beneath the original, right?
    For object motion blur, just object multiple times with different transparencies over it's path. For full-screen motion blur (which looks a lot better), you have to use render-targets. It's pretty easily: I don't know how Omega handles render targets, but in Asphyre there are several examples for that (only about 3-4 lines are required to add this effect).

Thanks for the info. This would be the next question: how to do this with omega?

But I am afraid here are not much Omega members except Czar...

I take a look at the samples, but I don't think I'll find something.

Firle

Omega can do render targets but it is not 100% well implemented. Well that is what Dan says. He is back in a few weeks so maybe you could ask him. You use an item in the imagelist and draw to that and then to the screen, something like that.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Hi Czar,

thanks for the info. I will try and play around with OmegaFader and maybe with fog and see what I can do. But perhaps I will also leave it like it is, maybe it is getting too much then.

Firle