Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Borland selling their IDE business

Borland selling their IDE business

In their quest to become the largest user of incomprehensible corporate buzzwords this side of a legal document, Borland is putting their IDE business up for sale.

Borland press release
    Slashdot article
    eWeek.com article - See if you can find the story amongst all those buzzwords.

Maybe the buyer will make the IDE good again? Or perhaps it is confirmation that it was a good idea to leave Borland behind.

What in the world?? :shock:

Maybe, just maybe, this is a turn for the better. Let's just hope it falls into the hands of people who love pascal as much as all of use do!

This could be quite positive - Borland has no qualified developers for their IDE anyway at this point. Furthermore, a company that buys BDS might remove unnecessary bulk from it (which can be seen right from the installation - loads of useless Borland packages and other crap). The bad thing is that it won't happen any time soon. :?

The only company that I can think of, right now, who might try to turn it around would be RemObjects, who still seem to believe in Pascal. But whether they have the time and or money to make the IDE great again is another matter.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Blog Entries

This could end up with us having a more competitive era for Pascal tool developers. Less Delphi-centric aims by other Pascal developers and more Chrome and Free Pascal support going around.

Some other small dog and alternative platform compilers might even get a slight boost in the market with the decent of Borland as a figure head boasting the Delphi banner.

Also perhaps the proper language name 'Object Pascal' might get more recognized now that 'Delphi' has become less credible as a brand name.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

RemObjects is most likely a small company; note that Chrome isn't really a compiler, it generated .NET intermediate code. All dirty work, i.e. the optimizations are done by the .NET runtime.

The Chrome software can very well be written by only a few programmers. To develop/support/market Delphi you need to be more heavy, i.e. Borland not only has much more programmers but also has sales offices in a lot of countries, which are necessary to bring in the money.

So, I expect a bigger fish is needed. Best to hope for IMHO is company that isn't in the development tools market yet and that wants to make investments into it, since the products are going to need to to remain competitive.

stick pascal into visual studio!

Borland were contractually prevented from developing a Visual Studio plug-in for Delphi.

I don't think RemObjects will purchase the IDE business because they already have a better IDE, ie. Visual Studio.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    Borland were contractually prevented from developing a Visual Studio plug-in for Delphi.

doesnt mean microsoft cant oh i can dream!

A few potential buys that I like the sound of are Google ( they recently poached Danny Thorpe - compiler dude), Apple ( They have Corbin Dunn ) and possibly Novell who seem to be involved with the Mono project.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast