Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to reduce FreePascal and Lazarus Exe Size...

How to reduce FreePascal and Lazarus Exe Size...

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    This could end up with us having a more competitive era for Pascal tool developers. Less Delphi-centric aims by other Pascal developers and more Chrome and Free Pascal support going around.
    Few days ago I checked the latest version of Free Pascal, but it's still not as half as good as Delphi. In fact, I disliked Delphi for creating large EXEs (~400 Kb; KOL can be a nice alternative though), but when I saw FreePascal's empty application take several megabytes :shock: - it was out of question for me. Lazarus as an IDE is not that fancy either - Delphi 7 is much better (and Delphi 2006 IDE can't even be compared to Lazarus).

Actually, if Delphi product line won't get continued, I am still planning to move to C# + Visual Studio. Delphi 2006 is nice IDE, but if it won't be updated - it has no future (in fact, I think there are still bugs that haven't been fixed yet: "fatal exception" on exit anyone ).

I guess it'll be one more year for me with Delphi 2006 (maybe less), but then it's "hated friend" C# may take its place. :?

Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower
    Few days ago I checked the latest version of Free Pascal, but it's still not as half as good as Delphi. In fact, I disliked Delphi for creating large EXEs (~400 Kb; KOL can be a nice alternative though), but when I saw FreePascal's empty application take several megabytes :shock: - it was out of question for me. Lazarus as an IDE is not that fancy either - Delphi 7 is much better (and Delphi 2006 IDE can't even be compared to Lazarus).
    Stop spreading nonsense! Hello world in Free Pascal is 20 kb. The entire game "the Sheep Killer" is 215kb. Lentil Wars is 420kb. Ok, Pixel is 4,4 mb, but then you have an application that beats Gimp. No, you propably are using an executable without smartlinking enabled, and perhaps even with debug info inside. Yes, Lazarus is big but not that big. Oh, and KOL works with Free Pascal as well...

[quote="dmantione"]
    Stop spreading nonsense! Hello world in Free Pascal is 20 kb. The entire game "the Sheep Killer" is 215kb. Lentil Wars is 420kb. Ok, Pixel is 4,4 mb, but then you have an application that beats Gimp. No, you propably are using an executable without smart]
    I also tried a simple "Hello World" application. It consisted of a window, one button and one edit box, all made in latest version of Lazarus + FPC. Enabled smartlinking, removed debug info and played with a bunch of other options. Couldn't make EXE get smaller than 2.2 Mb. *That* is what I was referring to, sorry if I didn't mention Lazarus. By the way, a console "Hello World" made in Delphi 2006 has the size of 18 Kb.

Blog Entries

[quote="Lifepower"]I also tried a simple "Hello World" application. It consisted of a window, one button and one edit box, all made in latest version of Lazarus + FPC. Enabled smart]

This is akin to the similar problem of taking a written program in your prefered language and then writing a 'port' in another language, seeing that it does not perform to expectations and concludes that the new language is no good. What is not considered usually is that you need to know more about the language to make a truely accurate statement about it.

It is usually best to educate yourself before stating a public conclusion. Or else you'll find yourself having to go back to correct yourself overand over and over...

FPC is great. With Lazarus or not. Lazarus is great too. No, it's not Delphi, but with the current state of the Delphi Studio(refering to 2005/2006) that may or may not be a good thing. If you are going to learn, do it from the experts or knowlagable users. In fact if you want to do some interesting compairisons, it in some ways gives the GNU compiler, GCC a run for it's money.

But getting back on track, Delphi is not the only professional Pascal solution right now, it's just the more popular one. I think that the seperation of Delphi and Borland might end up being a good thing. It was afterall some of the more prominent corporate figure heads from Borland the company that have caused some turmoil for the one highly successful IDE suite.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

@ WILL, dmantione:

There is no "public conclusion", no "public propaganda" and no "spreading nonsense" but my individual opinion. If you don't like my opinion, you are welcome to say your opinion, but please, do so politely (it is a good practice to respect the opinion of others). If you feel some information is wrong, please post links/references to make the required correction.

I'm not the disputing your opinion, but the "facts" you mention. Due to inexperience you create large executables and are blaming the software for your inexperience. It also has nothing to do with unpoliteness, if it was, my apologies. It is just that if someone is spreading false information that it shall be corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by dmantione
    I'm not the disputing your opinion, but the "facts" you mention. Due to inexperience you create large executables and are blaming the software for your inexperience. It also has nothing to do with unpoliteness, if it was, my apologies. It is just that if someone is spreading false information that it shall be corrected.
    I have only given an opinion (wtf u see facts in it??), while you ARE giving facts without the proof. Is it so difficult to give a link to a *small* (< 1 Mb, not using EXE packer) interface-driven application made in Lazarus + FPC, which doesn't use pure WinAPI calls? Is BS the only thing you can post?

Lifepower please, dmantione has kept it clean, so can you.

Well, I already gave examples, but I take the challenge, here you are. I compiled a MSEGUI example, 574kb, compiled for Linux, i386, 32-bit.

http://berlin.freepascal.org/~daniel/demo

Quote Originally Posted by dmantione
    Well, I already gave examples, but I take the challenge, here you are. I compiled a MSEGUI example, 574kb, compiled for Linux, i386, 32-bit.

http://berlin.freepascal.org/~daniel/demo
    dmantione, can you please point out exacty how you achieved this small exe size using Lazarus and the LCL, because right now, I am none the wiser about how to achieve this. Some detailed steps would be most usefull/educational and should probably go into a sticky topic on the FreePascal forum so that anyone new to FPC who happens to be looking for that information does not have to hunt round for it.

Also point out if these setting will also work on Win32 or other OSes.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast