Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to reduce FreePascal and Lazarus Exe Size...

How to reduce FreePascal and Lazarus Exe Size...

Note that MSEGUI removes the dependency on the LCL (and therefore also GTK). The example was compiled with out of the box Free Pascal 2.0.2, compiler options used where "-O2gr -CX -XX". -O2 activates the peephole optimizer which reduces executable size; -Og tells the compiler to optimize for size, -Or uses register variables which makes code again much smaller. Then "-CX -XX" is of course most important to enable smartlinking. The exe was stripped afterwards to remove debug info.

Quote Originally Posted by dmantione
    Note that MSEGUI removes the dependency on the LCL (and therefore also GTK).
    I'm confused :? So is this essentially just a WinAPI application then?
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

WinAPI on Linux?? That would be hard MSEGUI is a GUI-toolkit written in Pascal.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    Lifepower please, dmantione has kept it clean, so can you.
    Yes, sir.

I compiled a MSEGUI example, 574kb, compiled for Linux, i386, 32-bit.
    Please, you are well aware that we are not talking about Linux here. Also, why not giving the source code as well?

WinAPI on Linux?? That would be hard MSEGUI is a GUI-toolkit written in Pascal.
    WINE .

Ok so do you have steps to produce a LCL application that is fairly light-weight?

We really should move this discussion to the FreePascal forum.

Ok I've created a new thread over @ http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...ic.php?p=19398
    to continue this discussion, please post answers there and mention MSEGUI as well, so that it's all in the same thread as a possible alternative to LCL.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

At your service:

http://berlin.freepascal.org/~daniel/demo.tar.gz

The Win32/Linux discussion is irrelevant here. I'll leave the exercise to recompile it for Windows to you; I don't have my hands at a Win32 FPC installation currently.

Quote Originally Posted by savage
    Ok I've created a new thread over @ http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...ic.php?p=19398
    to continue this discussion, please post answers there and mention MSEGUI as well, so that it's all in the same thread as a possible alternative to LCL.
    Can you split this thread and move half of it to the new thread?

The Win32/Linux discussion is irrelevant here. I'll leave the exercise to recompile it for Windows to you; I don't have my hands at a Win32 FPC installation currently.
    Well, you are so touched by what I said about large executables in FPC + Lazarus. The issue is specific to Windows platform, so why stop now, when you still haven't proved your point?

dmantione, did you ever see the following threads: thread #1, thread #2, thread #3 and thread #4 (all on Lazarus/FPC forums). You can throw the crap all the day, but based on information from these threads, the issue hasn't been resolved yet without using UPX and/or KOL.

One last thing, could we return to being civil to each other.
    As my parents used to say, it's not important who started what, just be nice about it, please.

Thanks for your understanding.

Console "Hello World" in D6 is 10KB. VCL "Hello World" in D6 is 394KB (TEdit, TButton).

Anytime I try something with FreePascal I get a minimum of 400kb size, even for "hello world". I'm no wizard with programming or tweaking the IDE, but why do I even need to? In Delphi it's easier than reading the documentation, I've done it several times, but with FPC or Lazarus I can't make heads or tails of it. With Lazarus my filesizes rocket to an absolute minimum of 3MB.

So what am I going to use? What I know and competes just as well, or something I'll have to learn (akin to adapting to linux) and totally change my style?

I'm in the same boat as Lifepower. Stop acting so great because you can make a small executable and show us how. But can we get back to acting like professionals, rather than a bunch of newbie BASIC kids?

People, please, I have answered to everything you have asked, and didn't use magic tricks or something like that and people are shoothing from the roofs I am talking bullshit.

Howto for small Hello World:

* Install Free Pascal 2.0.2
    * Start up the IDE.
    * [pascal]program hello;
    begin
    writeln('Hello world');
    end.[/pascal]
    * Select options->mode->release.
    * Compiler.
    * I have a file that is 133 kb.
    * Go to Dos prompt.
    * 'strip hello.exe'
    * A have a file that is 28 kb.

How to for Lazarus will follow later. Don't know yet if it will be Linux or Windows, but with the hand on my heart: there is no difference.

The only lesson from these stories is that perhaps default settings should change. Disable debugging info so people can no longer debug and enable smartlinking so you need to wait longer for your compiler.... But I'm sure we'll get complaints that the debugger doesn't work then.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast