Thread: News posting feature in Your Projects forum...

News posting feature in Your Projects forum...

When posting news about your New Project, think of it as a press release because, with the new system I have installed with this forum, I can promote any posts in the "Your Projects" forum to an announcment which will then make it automagically appear as a news item on the front page.

So please take extra care when posting news about your project, because you probably want to have an impact on the readers, it's also less work for Jason and I .
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Looks like the new version came with a whole bunch of extra goodies

It's actually part of the mod I installed to give that portal news look on the news page.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Cool
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

It is better to add a box "Submit news" to the top-right pane, where ppl can just type the text (html formatted) and then send it for approval.
    +add box join chat "irc adrr #chan" also...

Hi 3d[Power],

Quote Originally Posted by 3d[Power]
    It is better to add a box "Submit news" to the top-right pane, where ppl can just type the text (html formatted) and then send it for approval.
    I'm trying to avoid/minimise the over customising of the general functionality of phpBB, so that we avoid the situation where upgrading to the latest verison is not a major job. The feature that we have in place now essentially means that every new topic in every forum, can be *promoted* to being a news item. Since we are taking advantage of built in functionality it will be less work for PGD staff in the long run. At least I think it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by 3d[Power]
    +add box join chat "irc adrr #chan" also...
    I can't remember if we had this functionality on the previous site as I never used the irc channel. Traveller can you clarify if we did, and maybe suggest how easy/hard it would be to add this?

I've never used the channel either. ops:
    And I'm not really sure we had such a feature on the old forum, too. I do remember a link displayed in the header, but I'm unsure where it lead to. I suppose we could have channel link somewhere on the main page, though.

Another feature that comes as standard with the latest version of phpBB is graphic authentication ( or what ever it's called ). Basically you have to type in the letters of a graphic image to be able to register. I have turned this feature on so there should be almost no spammers and it should be less work for PGD staff.