LOL... I wouldn't swear at anyone about their coding standards. Honestly I'm not using anything from my library, I'm doing it all from scratch. I wanted to prove (to myself) that I could start from scratch and come up with something on a limited schedule. I must say that this has limited my engine greatly, but in some ways it has made it very simple to work with. I have taken ideas out of my previous experience though (don't know how I couldn't).

Pathfinding can be a VERY bit PITA! In fact it can cost so much time that it alone can cripple your game. So taking time to get it right is definately a necessity. I wouldn't actually use the same method I use in my maze stuff for a large game world (it would cripple the engine and the users PC would prolly puke), but the maze generation code works well for testing overhead and speed of pathfinding.

Have you put any thought into your AI yet? I've been boggleing mine, and still have yet to come up with a good solution that will fit the timeline .